Flame

LT13
Present

Flame.

His heavy breathing intensified as he circled around the house in fury

His heavy breathing intensified as he circled around the house in fury. He glanced up at the second level of the bricked home, watching as the silhouette of his ex lover move about in her bedroom.

He was aware she was preparing for a shower, as she always did at this time of day. Once finding a nearby stone, he tossed the rock into the house and shattered the glass window in the process.

The dimmed moonlight displayed his shadow on the side of the bricks as he climbed through the broken window, avoiding the sharp pointed glass pieces that was scattered.

With each step he took up the carpet covered stairs, faint memories of them two flashed through his mind. Not only those distasteful thoughts but also ones of overbearing regret. He knew not how he had gotten to this point of thinking nor knew how to escape it.

A shake of his head is given with his fist clenched and his jaws as the running water became louder. He stopped in his tracks as i new sound discerned through his eardrums -a baby crying in a short distance.

He could feel the cracking in his chest and his anger beam from his skin as he begins to breath harder, no longer able to keep his presence, inside of the home he was warned to stay away from, unknown.

His ex lover swung her bedroom door open to tend to her baby's alerting cry. Instead, she was standing before a face she wished she'd never see again. The ear screeching scream that emitted from her mouth made her fear evident.

Her towel drops and her honey colored eyes widened with surprise and terror. Her body erupted in trembles but it didn't stop her from scrambling her hands onto his body in a fighting matter.

His anger was his shield. It was as if he felt nothing. A devious smirk found it's way onto his full lips, his teeth barred, and his dark brown eyes reflected more blackish -a darkened shade she had never seen.

"Get out!" She shouted, thinking of the quickest route to a nearby cellar device. He was angry and could barely stand to look at her. The audacity he felt she had to treat him in an indifferent matter when he did nothing but be there for her and be the best of himself he could be.

In his opinion, he had gotten better. He wasn't jealous, he wasn't disrespectful nor neglecting. He was accepting to their circumstances but it seemed to not be enough for her.

She dashed to make a run for it, first towards her young child's room but his large hands had grabbed her wrist and yanked her back. Turning her around, he snaked his fingers around her petite throat and squeezed, putting all his might into each muscle.

His lips pursued at the sight of hers gapped open and her eyes fluttering. He felt her fight against his grip as her lungs were being blocked from air more and more. "We could've been a family." He said low through gritted teeth.

He took odd pleasure in feeling the life drain from her small body but his small dose of happiness dissolved and become hatred once hearing a beep then the voice fling that took his place. "Hey, I was coming by to get Kj in about two hours. Call me back if that's okay."

The intruder felt steam rise in his body from the voicemail. The hated voice distracted him to the point where his grip loosened and his ex lover could accumulated small amounts of air. She lunged her foot into his intimate area and scurried to the phone as he kneeled in agony.

He couldn't allow his temporary pain to overtake him however. He toughed it out and chased after her, knowing she was going for the phone.

She redialled a familiar number in a hurry as he came down the stairs. Just as she was about to press call, he knocked the phone from her hands and grabbed her by the shoulders, slamming her body to the floor.

She wheeped in pain, kicking her feet outward towards him so he'd keep his distance. He had other things in mind because he was not done with the woman who tore his heart to shreds. He thought it was no way he could make her feel the same pain she'd caused for him but he was willing to try.

She was very archaic, having a cord house phone downstairs. Tonight was the less fortunate night for that. He kneeled beside her, hovering over her seemingly small body and wrapped the thick cord around her neck. He tugged it backward as she fought for her life, pulling at the choking material.

Her breathless sounds made him smile, thinking back on all the times he wanted to make love to her and how close he was to doing so until it all came crashing down. The baby crying uproared as tears of strain surfaced her eyes.

He let go of the cord once her arms dropped to her sides. He watched her body collapse to the egg-colored carpet and he sniffled. He loved her so much. He crotched beside her and ran his hands through her soft, semi wet hair.

"Why couldn't you see that? Why'd you have to make me do this?" He added on to his prior statement earlier and shook his head. He leaned in and left a kiss on her full,perky lips that he just had to feel on his again.

With a sense of satisfaction and hurt still lingering in his chest, he stood slowly. He looked over her body feeling at ease at the sight of her fair, bronze complexion skin shading blue in the face and around her neck.

He raised his hand to his own face, wiping the sweat dripping from his nose. He feared consequences so he drizzled the house from inside to out with gasoline despite the continuous crying.

He thumbed the lighter and watched as a flame struck. His face had begun to puff from his silent cries. He sniffed the snot back into his nostrils as he lit the cigarette that dangled from his lips.

He took long puff, while leaning on his car, for the old times as he strred at the still standing house. He threw the cigarette to the gas and it took no time to trail to the house and go into flames.

He wanted their past, the memories, the regrets, the good and the bad times, and selfishly her future to burn and fade along with this house.