corn maze

description: dan gets lost in a corn maze
word count: 2154

dan's pov

the cloudy path that lied ahead of me was almost impossible to make out. a hazy fog was all that could i see in the distance, causing a deep fear to creep up and shake me. i wore a weary expression, an achey fear had been planted in my stomach and was quickly growing.

i have no idea what time it is or where i am. the darkness of the starless sky is devouring me. it's crushing me in its sharp jaws and swallowing me, making it impossible to escape. and with my phone being dead, i have no one to call for help.

when i had stepped outside into the crisp, cool air this morning my thought was that the day would be full of comfortingly warm apple cider and pumpkin carving. as i walked to the autumn festival, i envisioned the various activities i would do. however, i had not predicted that i would be stranded in a pitch black corn maze in the middle of the night.

i was now in the midst of the grey, misty haze, wishing i had worn warmer clothes. my black jumper, with a tiny red apple pattern, along with my simple black jeans were doing a shitty job of keeping me warm. i pulled my sleeves down, covering my hands so they looked like paws, in a desperate attempt to regain feelings in my fingertips.

the majority of body is now completely numb. i'd give anything to be wearing my pyjamas while sitting in my bed, eating pizza and maybe watching some anime right now. just like every other night. and i could be doing that right now, if i hadn't decided to go outside today.

but i did, which is rare.

when i looked out the window this morning and saw the flashing colours of leaves gently swirling to the ground, i realised that i wanted to experience the joys that autumn had to offer. one of which is the local festival held nearby where i live. it's mainly tents selling food and miscellaneous items, but it also has fun games to play. you can try and bob for apples, which always seemed sort of sexual-looking to me, or participate in some lighthearted bean-bag toss.

but the main attraction is their corn maze.

i decided to be adventurous, so got in line and listened to all the warnings. typical precautions for a maze, make sure you have a phone, stay with a buddy and call for help if you need it, etc. at the time i was determined i could do it, and i had a working phone just in case.

but now that the charge is empty it's practically useless. and i really wish i had listened to the thing about having a buddy. because right now, stranded in the dark, i'm absolutely terrified.

i take a couple steps to the side until my outstretched arm hits an ear of corn. i run my hand along the stalks as i continue stumbling forward. i didn't realise i was crying until a sob escapes my lips. i keep walking though.

i begin to wonder if it would have been a better idea to stop walking when i first started getting lost in the shadowy night. then i would have been closer to the entrance, a way to escape. unfortunately i didn't think of that till now, so i'm stuck somewhere in the middle of this potential death trap.

my mind goes wild, racing with deadly thoughts. i could starve, or be attacked by wild animals, or kidnapped-there are so many possibilities. my breathing starts getting faster at the thought of something coming to get me, so i stop for a bit to control my breaths.

i study the moonless sky, clouds blocking all the light that the sky usually has to offer. staring at the sky soothes me, helping me to calm down. once i'm back in control of my breathing, i take a gentle step forward, preparing to ease back into my routine. but then i hear a noise.