do you believe in soulmates?

description: dan doesn't believe in soulmates, but phil does
word count: 1577

"they're not real," dan mumbles annoyedly, hissing quietly at his date. " it's just a concept to help lonely people cope with their lack of romance."

nate rolls his eyes, chuckling at dan's response. "you don't have to be so pissy with me, i already said that i agree with you. it's just that my cousin, phil, seems really dead set on them being real. i have to hear about it all day because he's staying at our house right now."

dan nods silently, tracing patterns on his leg with his finger. nate grabs his hand suddenly, squeezing it gently. dan offers a half-hearted smile before pulling his hand away. "are you mad at me or something?" nate asks slightly upset. it takes a second for dan to actually answer, he's too focused on the stars above them, thinking about anything but this place, right now.

"no, just not really in the mood to be touched." the conversation falls silent after that, an unspoken agreement to just peacefully enjoy the lovely nightlife surrounding them. after a while, dan finds himself a bit hungry, as well as curious. why is his cousin so obsessed with love, is he really that desperate?

"wanna get something to eat?" dan suggests, preparing to lift himself up from the ground where they'd been sitting. nate nods, extending a hand to help dan up, and he takes it. dan's mood has passed and now he is almost back in the mood to be close to nate. dan pulls him into a hug, then goes back to just holding hands. they stroll down the sidewalk towards one of the few restaurants still open.

"tell me more about your cousin, he sounds kind of funny," dan chirps, hoping to get nate back into his usual happy mood. nate nods, opening the door to the diner and slipping in behind dan. they take a seat at a booth in the back, not even glancing at the menu because it's so familiar.

"he's nice, i guess. he likes video games and plants and shit, kind of a loser," nate shrugs uninterestedly. dan smiles in acknowledgment, pretending he agrees with his more sport-oriented boyfriend. secretly though, dan loves the sound of playing video games, and he thinks houseplants are kind of cute.

"what else?" dan asks quietly, a little more intrigued. nate raises a frustrated eyebrow, twirling a spoon between his fingers absentmindedly. dan hums quietly in apology, not meaning to pry.

"why do you care so much?" nate's gruff voices asks, jealously leaking from his broken words. dan shrugs offering a reassuring smile, though still curious. "fine, whatever. he's really annoying. he's older than you, but he acts like a child. he's obsessed with baby animals and he barely ever gets any real work done. he never shuts up, he's always on about how he can't wait to fall in love."

nate sighs in defence when dan frowns. why does nate get angry so easily? dan wants to snap back at him for being rude, but a waitress approaches and he bites his tongue. "evening kids," she says heartily. "what'll it be?"

dan watches as nate grimaces before speaking. "i don't know, a coke i guess?" he grumbles. dan casts an apologetic gaze at the waitress.

"a milkshake please, butterscotch," dan grins at her, hoping to lighten the mood. nate sighs heavily, squeezing dan's hand. dan finds himself wanting to pull away again, but he's afraid of how nate would react.

"i'm just tired, didn't mean to snap at you," nate mumbles, though clearly still unhappy. "maybe we could go to your house tonight?" he says suddenly, his demeanour changing. a devilish grin lights up his lips, dissolving the previous annoyance.

dan gulps quietly, nervous to answer. "how about we go to yours? i like your house better." nate shrugs but agrees, sending a quick text to phil to tell him to get out of the house.