Chapter 1: The Whisper

Lightning struck across the cloudy sky. The roar could be heard throughout the entire clan. At this time of year, heavy showers were typical, but this one was different, Madara knew it. His brother had not yet returned from his training and that worried him. Izuna had always been responsible... but it's been a couple of months that he's been late from his training. Something was happening, but he wasn't sure of the motive that was keeping his brother late.

"Son... sit down and eat something," He heard his father say with that voice— hoarse but at the same time, with a certain touch of gentleness.

"My brother worries me. The storm is worsening."

"Don't worry too much. You know Izuna's held back sometimes."

"Yes, and lately he's been weird."

"He's probably preparing something for his students, don't worry. He'll come soon. Izuna hates these storms."

"I know."

Izuna was their father's right eye, Madara knew it. He was the little one of the family, the spoiled kid but everyone adored him. At his twenty years of age, Izuna still thought like a teenager. He liked his liberty and hated responsibilities, but to his luck, Madara was the firstborn— the one who would be heir to the Uchiha clan, the one who would have to carry the responsibilities of being a good clan leader over his shoulders.

Madara's worried pacing didn't let his parents eat in peace, but Tajima tried not to focus on his son and how he would look out the window every time he passed it. He could see how worried he was for his little brother. Tajima smiled and fixed his eyes on his beautiful wife who was taking a sip of her green tea.

"The Senju family is looking for a new alliance to add to their defense," He commented.

"The Senju family?" His wife whispered. "They're a noble family, one of the mayor feudal domains in these lands. It'd be very beneficial to have a pact with them."

"That's exactly what I thought. Izuna has decided to assist the trials."

Madara tensed upon hearing that. He knew very well about these trials. Every ninja in the region wanted that contract because it'd maintain their clan under the economy of a house with grand resources. It'd guarantee the subsistence of many if they managed to get that pact. To the Uchiha, it was a juicy deal and overall... it was something they had assimilated they could get. They were the best warriors on that side of the stream. Every other clan feared the Uchiha but even so... they also hated them. A feared clan, desired and hated at the same time for their strength, their pride, and bravery.

"I don't think Izuna is prepared for these trials," Madara remarked. "I should be the one going."

"You're not going to compete, Madara." His father said with seriousness.

"But father... you know he could die there and I'm more prepared than my brother."

"You will be the leader of this clan one day. I will not put you in danger nor put the clan at risk. Everyone would desire your death in order to destroy us. I will never put my firstborn at risk. Izuna will do well."

"The other clans have nothing against me, I can defeat everyone."

"Powerful clans are going, Madara. You should never underestimate our enemies. What's more, I heard the Namikaze wanted to convince the Senju to let them advise them on a political level."

That had surprised even his wife as it did Madara. It's been years since that clan had practically been extinct. Rumors of their weakness had scattered like dust over terrain. Nobody feared the Namikaze anymore. In their time, they had been important for their intelligence, for their ports and commerce, but now... nobody considered them any danger. They were just simple merchants who couldn't defend themselves.