Chapter 13: An impossible love

His hands trembled despite resting on the sheets that covered his legs. He still couldn't believe that someone had used his own jutsu against him but he knew exactly who had done it. A technique like that required a lot of chakra, a lot of control, and only one person had such ability to use it apart from him, his master... Jiraiya.

Minato brought his right hand up to the side of his neck and [did so] until he covered the seal behind his ear. It was incredible how he hadn't noticed the moment they put it on him. Now everything seemed to make sense...so much... that a shiver ran down his spine. Guilt returned to him because...it could be him. He could be the culprit for all those occurrences. He should get away from everyone and most importantly... from Madara. He didn't want to hurt him.

The tears fell from his eyes once again. Nothing seemed to make sense in his life. He was in this competition, fighting for a lost reputation and surely...one they would never get back. All the clans had improved, they had those bloodlines that gave them gifts but them, [the Namikaze's], they remained stagnant. They would never have a gift, they couldn't be like the Kaguya clan with their deformity in their bones. There was also the Uchiha and Hyuuga clan—famous for their eyes—the Inuzuka for their [sense of] smell and the Aburame for their pact with the insects...but they had absolutely nothing to show off. They were a clan that would slowly be forgotten.

The squeaking of the door opening made him turn towards the shadow that entered the hospital room. He thought it'd be Madara, worried or even annoyed with his behavior, but no. That red hair was easily identifiable. Kushina walked up to him towards the bed where he was and with tears in her eyes, asked kindly if she could stay there with him for a while. At that, Minato had no choice but to accept. They had been friends since years ago and now that marriage which he considered a mistake, was all too real. He couldn't say no to Kushina, he knew how delicate her heart was and how infatuated she was with him. Besides... he could no longer be with the person he loved, so he didn't care much about this sacrifice; it was one of many he had already done in his life.

Carefully, Minato moved aside, leaving her a place at his side. Kushina laid down, her back against Minato's warm chest, letting herself be hugged by his strong arm. It was all the comfort she needed. She had lost her brother, but her future husband was there with her, cuddling her, trying to take her pain away with that hug.

"Thanks, Minato," Kushina expressed.

"It's just a hug," Minato simply said.

"I don't mean that," Minato looked at her a bit confused. He wasn't sure what the girl referred to. "I meant your sacrifice. I know you don't love me, at least, not like a wife."

"Kushina..."

"I know. We've always been friends and... it [must be hard for you] seeing me as something more."

"It's not that... I... I fell in love with someone months ago."

"But... then why are you marrying me?"

"Because it was a forbidden love, a ninja teammate, a man..." He explained. "I'm sorry, but... we're not allowed to marry men, just... enjoy them from time to time."

"The heir," Kushina whispered.

"Yes, the heir," Minato hugged her tightly.

"And if... I gave you the heir you needed," Kushina said. "And if I let you go with that ninja you speak of..."

"You're a good girl," Minato said to her, smiling. "You're a great woman and any ninja would be proud to have you at their side. I feel fortunate to be me."

"But you're in love with someone else and I don't want to be an obstacle."

"You aren't... that man would never come back," Minato explained. "That love is lost, I only have you."