Chapter 2: An Authentic Leader

All the clans patiently waited for the moment in which the Senju family would make its appearance. Sneaky glares traveled from one to the other. For Madara, this was a precious moment in which he could investigate his rivals, all the competitors, and the rest of the clans to find his brother's assassin. However, his eyes once again shifted from the Hatakes towards the Namikazes on the other side of the grand plaza. It was a very scarce group.

"Very few Namikaze have arrived." Madara commented.

"They're not at their best moment as a clan, you know this already."

"That's like telling me there are barely any left."

Tajima shook his head, agreeing with him, but at the same time, indicating that he keep silence. It was never any convenient to gain more enemies, even if it were from the weakest clan present.

"They don't worry me, they've only come for the political post. They won't enter the competition. Who do you suspect?"

"The Hatake," Madara said. "they're the ones closest to the river, the Namikaze never wander around there; it's very far from their domain and they wouldn't dare cross paths with any ninja. They're scarce enough as it is. Izuna whispered something before dying and I've been thinking about it all night."

"It could be anyone. The Uzumaki live north of the river," Tajima said, signaling towards the redheads behind them. "and the Hyuuga, to the south."

"It could be anyone," Madara repeated. "but I'll investigate them all."

Tajima was about to speak once again when they heard the doors of the palace open. Atop the stairs, the royal guards walked out, giving sight to Butsuma Senju next to his two sons: Hashirama and Tobirama Senju. All the ninja looked at them instantly but Butsuma raised his hands, indicating the participants to come up so they could talk to him up close.

Tajima looked at his son, indicating that it was time and they abandoned the protection of their men to begin the hike up the stairs. The rest of the leaders gestured their participants to follow them and everyone began their ascent. Madara was struck odd upon seeing the leader of the Namikaze asking the youngest out of all of them to accompany him.

"Competitors, one step forward." Butsuma spoke.

Tajima once again looked at his first son, but Madara, with utmost confidence, unsheathed his Katana and threw it, stabbing it against the floor and making his participation clear. The Hyuuga was the first to follow the Uchiha, unsheathing a kunai and throwing it next to Madara's Katana, adding his participation as well. Everyone went along, throwing their weapons one after the other until finally arriving to the Namikaze at the end of the line.

"Namikaze," Butsuma whispered, "you come for the post in the council, is that not so?"

Everyone turned to the two Namikaze with an incredulous smile. Butsuma simply observed them cautiously without knowing too well what answer to give them.

"I don't see how having the Namikaze on the council is convenient," The leader of the Hyuuga dared comment behind his candidate: the son of his best advisor and the best ninja he had at the possible moment. "The Namikaze are no good in battle. How will they be able to command an army in case of war? No one would even fear them."

Madara instinctively looked towards the Namikaze's candidate. He seemed serious and looked at everyone else with a certain shyness, but looked nothing in comparison to his leader. Perhaps he wasn't a part of the main family; he could possibly just be some merchant's son, some adviser or something like that.

"If it's so important to show that someone is capable of using a kunai, then there's no other option," For the first time, they heard the young man speak. He took out a three-pointed kunai and threw it, nailing it next to the other weapons. "Minato Namikaze, I present myself to the competition."