19: The Shed

Chapter 19

The days seemed torturous. Frank would continue his overly sweet behavior day in and day out. These days always scared me the most. This time it seemed unending.

"Brookie I'm home!" Frank yelled Friday evening from the kitchen. That was my cue to join him and wait on him hand and foot. Literally.

When I entered the room Frank was slouching at the table with his foot extended. Immediately I went over to start untying his worn steel toe boots. I loosened them quite a bit before trying to tug at them. This part always seemed kind of hard. I pulled as hard as I could, causing me to loose my balance when it finally came loose. My back hit the hard floor, followed by my head. My knees were bent and my skirt became bunched up during my attempt to catch myself. Before I realized my pink undies were showing, Franks eyes were already taking in the sight in front of him. I was quick to stand up and straighten out my clothes once I saw his eyes widen and watched as he licked his lips.

I was horrified this would be Frank's breaking point. That the overly nice guy he has been the past few days would be replaced by his usual self. My face beet red in embarrassment and my eyes widened in horror. To my relief, he gathered himself quite fast and instructed me to unlace his other boot. Right as I was about to start taking off the second boot he gestured for me to back off and did it himself. I let out the breathe I did not know I was holding as I backed up to the counter.

"We're going to have guests tonight. Why don't you change into something more appropriate?" Frank asked me.

"Okay. Who's coming over?" I dared to question.

Frank raised his brow as to challenge me.

"Never mind. I'll go change," I quickly retreated.

I threw on some jeans and a sweater. Frank has never asked me to change before. It must have been because of the incident. The skirt I had on came down to my knees. It was the shortest skirt I owned, so it was not as if I really ever needed to change for company before.

After awhile I heard a knock on the front door. I came out just in time to see a man in dress clothes enter my home. Immediately I noticed the papers he was carrying with him. Curiosity spiked and I made my way once again to the kitchen.

"Hello, I'm Greg. Frank's probation officer," he shook my mother's hand.

"Jennifer," she smiled politely. My mother noticed me out of the corner of her eye, "And this is our daughter, Brooklynn."

The man looked at me confused, "I was unaware that Frank had any children."

"He's not my dad," I said quietly. Once it was said I hoped it was to quiet for him or my mother to hear. Instantly I knew it was said loud enough when I received a harsh glare.

Greg's face smoothed out, "Oh. I see." He then gave his attention back to my mother, "Where is Frank?"

My mother smoothed out the pink flowery dress I hadn't noticed until this point. She was really trying to make a good impression. Explains Frank's attitude towards me lately as well. "He's in the shed. Would you go get him for me, Brooklynn?"

I looked down at the floor and headed for the door, "Sure."

The shed was a small, ratty old building in front of my driveway. It was mostly used as storage and a place for Frank's tools. My mother's somewhat fancy appearance and Frank being in the dirty shed contrasted highly. Every step closer I became more and more paranoid. The doors were indeed open however.

My eyes tried to adjust to the dark as I slowly stepped in. I barely made out Frank's silhouette as he pulled me by my arm to him. "Is Greg here?" he demanded an answer.