PART 19

It was a Thursday, and Harry couldn't bear the thought of not visiting her.

"Good afternoon, Minerva," he greeted, and shut the door behind him. He looked to the old witch, who was smiling at him, and he couldn't help but smile back.

"I knew you'd visit. I even have some biscuits for you."

Harry laughed; sure enough, there was a whole plate of them waiting for him. He sat down in the chair, grinning at her. It felt nice to be here for a friendly visit instead of to discuss a war. Between that and the events of two nights ago, Harry was happy. For once in his life, he had love, and even someone to call a motherly figure. Everything was okay.

"Can you tell me stories of Hogwarts?" He asked her, and she raised an eyebrow. "Nothing depressing," he added.

She smiled. "Oh, I have stories about everyone. You remember Albus Dumbledore, yes? He was quite older than me, but I like to think of him as my best friend. He was a good man, and a greater friend. Very intelligent. You know what was the most odd thing about him? Something that almost no one knew about?"

Harry raised an eyebrow and gestured for her to go on. "He had... certain relations with Gellert Grindelwald."

Harry, despite himself, started laughing. "Are you telling me that one of the greatest wizards of all time did the do with wizard Hitler?"

Minerva smiled. "Oh, yes. We laugh now but it was quite the scandal back in the day. Dumbledore himself almost turned dark, but thankfully he turned away before he could go too far. He really did have a heart of gold, I'm not surprised that he made the right choice."

Harry was still grinning when he said, "tell me about Draco." She raised an eyebrow again, and he sighed. "Not about whatever he's keeping from me. I meant something more innocent."

She smiled. "He once climbed a tree in an attempt to intimidate Neville. He was also once turned into a ferret by one of our DADA Professors."

Harry burst out laughing. "A ferret? A Professor turned him into a ferret?" He giggled quietly to himself. "I'm going to tease him about that for the rest of his life."

Minerva smiled. "You've really taken quite the liking to Draco, haven't you?"

Harry stopped laughing immediately and turned red instead. "Well, yeah, I guess," he mumbled.

Minerva smiled knowingly. "He's a good man, but I'm sure you know that already. Just remember that. Draco's been through a lot, I really think that he needs someone like you."

Harry paused. "Do you think he'll ever tell me about his past?"

Minerva nodded. "I think it'll have to come up sooner or later."

Harry sighed. "I want to know him better, you know? I want to help him with whatever's troubling him."

Minerva's smile grew. "You're in love with him, aren't you?"

Harry's face flared bright red. He tried to deny it, but no words came out of his mouth. "I—uh, I, well... yeah..." His hands began to shake and he twitched in his seat.

Minerva gave him a strange look. "Can I tell you something, Harry? I think it's time to."

Harry didn't reply, he just nodded, not trusting his voice. How on earth was she able to tell?

"I figured out long ago why you're here, Harry. It's simple—you and Draco are soulmates."

Harry froze in his seat, no longer twitching, his thoughts shutting down. Soulmates... soulmates... we're... soulmates?

"Draco had a very rough past, as you know, and Dumbledore wanted to give him a chance at a proper future. He enchanted Draco when he was a teenager, right before he died. If Draco's soulmate ever wished aloud to go somewhere new, they would instantly be transported to Draco."

Harry was simply speechless. He's known for a long time that he shared something extraordinary with Draco, but he didn't think it would be something of this magnitude. What Minerva was trying to tell him is that he and Draco were destined to be together.

Harry wanted to deny it, to argue that even though he used to blame everything on fate, it just wasn't real. But what he had with Draco was probably the most real thing he'd ever had with someone. To think that they were anything other than soulmates was absurd.

"We're soulmates," Harry said, and it was more of a statement than a question.

Minerva nodded. "You're soulmates."

He loved Draco. Draco, who was damaged but beautiful anyway. Draco, who managed to lift Harry's heart up even when nothing else would. Draco, who was the most perfect person Harry had ever known. Draco was his, even if he didn't know it yet. They were destined to be together.

"What am I doing here?" He muttered aloud, although it was more directed to himself than to Minerva. "I gotta go," he said, and without another word, left. Minerva watched him go, a smile on her face.

After he had left, she turned to the portrait of Albus Dumbledore, who had been quiet all this time but was still smirking. "You did a good job," she told the portrait.

"I know," Albus responded, his eyes glimmering although he was nothing but paint on a canvas.

Meanwhile, Harry raced through the hallways of Hogwarts, looking for the person he now knew to be his soulmate. He passed by a few kids that waved to him or reach for a high five, but he had to ignore them. His soulmate was only a few feet away.

He reached the potions classroom and threw open the door in his haste, not even bothering to close it. "Draco!" He yelled, but there wasn't any reply. The classroom was empty, and before he moved on to another location, he decided to check Draco's room.

He didn't bother to knock; they were soulmates, who cares if Harry accidentally saw Draco naked? He flew open the door and sure enough, there was Draco, wearing nothing but pants.

Draco turned around, and Harry stopped cold.

The smile slipped off his face and his heart kept beating rapidly, but for a different reason. His ears began to ring strangely at the sight. Draco Malfoy, in all his shirtless glory, stood in the middle of his room. His arms were exposed, and with it, the Dark Mark, which contrasted against his pale skin.

Harry had only ever heard of the Dark Mark, but he knew enough about it to know what it was when he saw it. Draco's forearm bore a skull with a snake coming out of the mouth, and there was no doubt in Harry's mind—Draco Malfoy was a Death Eater.

"Harry—" Draco began, but Harry didn't hear the rest of the sentence. He did the only thing he could think to do.

He ran.