Chapter 3

I felt so great after that entire incident of bringing down Douglas. He left me alone for the rest of the day. I wanted to test what the principal said. The thing she said about me being able to leave the classroom at anytime to go play piano. I decided to save that for another time. I was sitting in math class listening and taking notes. When I felt as if someone was watching every move I made. It was a strange feeling and I didn't know where this person was in the room. I didn't want to make eye contact with the person so I did my best to ignore the feeling. I acted normal just sitting there taking my notes. I started to mildly sweat because the feeling of someone staring at you is like a laser beam being pointed at the side of your head. I started to have almost this burning feeling on the right side of my head. I wanted to say loudly "Okay who's ever staring that is extremely discourteous and immensely maddening!!" But I controlled myself. That class ended and it was now time for lunch.

I had no friends to sit with in the cafeteria. I also didn't like the cafeteria. It is filled with germs and loud obnoxious scholars that I'd rather not deal with. I didn't even enter the cafeteria. My parents had packed me a lunch. I turned back and went to the music room. Before walking inside I stood there looking at the door and the sign. I then opened the door and walked in. I looked around. The room had more than just a piano. There were other instruments like violins, cellos, and basses. They also had instruments like the saxophone, trombone, clarinet, trumpet, and flute. I was done with looking around and I walked over to the piano. It had it's tarp still on it. I took it off and laid it on the floor. I sat down and cracked my knuckles. I thought of something to play and was about to start. Just before I could put my fingers down on the key someone opened the door. I looked up and this female student walked in.

She looked at me and said "Oh I'm sorry.... I thought that I would just come in here.... the cafeteria is kinda loud... it makes me nervous." The girl had a really thick accent. I couldn't put my finger on where she was from. But I liked to hear her talk. We stared at each other for a moment. She then said "Oh! I'm sorry! I have to introduce myself.." She walked over to me and put her hand out to shake mine. My eyes widened because when she got closer to me I realized who she was. My jaw dropped. She then said "Hello my name is.." I interrupted and said "Elizabeth... your name is... Elizabeth..." She looked at me confused. She looked at me for a second and said "Wait... J.. Joy?!" I laughed and said "Yeah it's me!" She sat down next to me and said "Oh my god!!" She laughed and hugged me. I didn't know how to feel. I could barely even hug her back. I smiled brightly and she said "Oh my gosh how is everything?! Tell me everything!!!"

I laughed and said "Well I have new parents. Their names are Sarah and James. I have been living with them for seven years. They actually love me! And I love them! And oh oh look!" Joy took her hoodie off of her shoulder and laughed. She smiled and said "Not one scratch!!" Elizabeth smiled at me. Elizabeth then said "Aw Joy that is wonderful!" Elizabeth hugged me again and I laughed a little. When she pulled away I took my glasses off and wiped away a tear and said "Yeah it really is." I put my glasses back on. Elizabeth crossed her legs. The only thing that changed about her was her height. She was wearing pink skirt with a black short sleeve shirt that fit her well. She had a matching pink bow in her thick dark hair.

She was wearing black flats. She was wearing makeup but it wasn't too much. It was just the right amount. Elizabeth sat up straight and said "So do you want to sing with me? Oh and don't worry the accent goes away when I sing?" I laughed and said "I would sing with you even if it didn't... where are you from?" Elizabeth said "Oh... I'm from Syria.." I smiled and nodded. I turned to the piano and said "Cool..um... so what do you feel like singing?" Elizabeth held her arm and said "Oh anything really.. you can pick.." I sat there and thought for a second. I said "Alright... how about... um..." Elizabeth smiled and said "Let me help you out how about... something Bon Jovi.." I smiled and said "Alright I got it." I started playing "Living On A Prayer". Her singing voice was beautiful. Like she said her accent completely went away when she sang. Her range was incredible.

The next class of the day was history. I sat at the back of the classroom. Elizabeth turned around and waved. I gave a small smile and waved. After study hall it was time to go home. When I got in the back seat of my parents car I was completely speechless. My parents were talking but I couldn't hear what they were saying. It was not because my music was playing too loud. I forgot to even turn my music on. I heard my name and snapped out of it. My father was driving and said "Honey? Is everything alright?" I said "Yes... yes sir everything.. everything is fine." My Mom turned around and said "I don't think so... did you take care of those horribly rude children?" I took my headphones off of my ears and put my phone away and said "Oh yes I handled that Mother they will never pick on me again." My Mother's eyes widened. I looked up at her and noticed her eyes were widened.

I smiled and said "Mom... is everything alright?" My Mom said "You... you just... you turned off your music and shut down your phone.... you have never done that before... I... something is wrong... something is up... tell Mommy tell Mommy what's going on!" I smiled at my Mom and said "Um okay... remember that girl I told you about... remember... the girl that I met the day that I was saved and taken to the foster home." My parents both said "Yes." I smiled and said "Well... I haven't seen her all of this time and... she goes to this school! She is in my classes!" My Mother turned around and said "Aww sweetie that's amazing!" My Father was driving and said "That is fantastic sweetheart." I had this feeling. A feeling that I never felt before. I didn't know what it was right then but I didn't dislike it. I couldn't wait to go back to school tomorrow.