Chapter 6

When the bell rang we walked back to class together. We walked into class. Elizabeth sat around the middle of the class room and I sat in the back. Elizabeth turned around and smiled at me. I looked at her and smiled back. I felt a lot better than I did before. Our teacher Mr. Roberts started off the class by saying "Hello my freshman class how is everyone doing today?" We all replied "Good." No one asked him how he was so Elizabeth said "And how are you doing Mr. Roberts?" He smiled and said "I am doing more than well today Elizabeth." Elizabeth smiled and said "Why is that Mr. Roberts?" He responded "Well my wife and I just found out we are expecting twins and I'm very happy and excited about it." All of the students started clapping and cheering. Everyone said "Congratulations Mr. Roberts!"

   He smiled brightly and said"Thank you class..um... okay so today we will be learning about a few things you might have never heard of.." Mr. Roberts was a very good teacher. He had a positive attitude, he didn't mind stopping for questions, and if someone didn't understand something he didn't mind saying the same thing over and over in different ways to get them to understand. He was a very patient person. Which is probably why he wanted to be a teacher in the first place. The bell rang at the end of class and I gathered my things. I was one of the last people in the class room. Mr Roberts was getting his things together and said "Ms. O'hare?" I looked up and said "Yes sir?" I took my headphones off and he smiled at me and said "I can tell you are going to be a very talented student of mine Ms. O'hare... in fact you remind me of someone I know." I smiled and said "Who would that be Mr. Roberts?"

He said " That would be me Ms. O'hare you remind me of me when I was your age.... quiet... distracted.... but still getting perfect grades.... I can tell that you have a bright high school carrier in front of you and I can't wait to see how this turns out." He smiled at me and nodded. I smiled and was now done with gathering my things and said "Thank you Mr. Roberts... I hope you have a great rest of your day.... now if you can excuse me... I have a piano down stairs that needs to be played.." I walked out of the room and Elizabeth followed. We went into the music room. I ran to the piano and sat down. I laughed a little and said "Oh I have the perfect song!" Elizabeth laughed and said "Let's hear it." I looked at her as I played "A Thousand Miles" By Vanessa Cartlon. She laughed and came and sat next to me.

       I sang "Making my way down town walking fast faces pass and I'm home bound." I played the piano and sand"Staring blankly ahead just making my way making a way through the crowd." I  play the piano and then look at Elizabeth and sing "And I need you."Play the piano and look at Elizabeth and sings "And I miss you." Plays the piano and she laughed and I sang "And now I wonder." We sing and harmonize as I played the piano "If I could fall into the sky. Do you think time would pass me by. Cause I know I'd walk a thousand miles if I could just see you tonight." I played the piano and Elizabeth laughed because I said in a silly voice as I played "Du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du du.." Then I stopped playing and I laughed. When the school day was over I walked out of the school and got into the back of my parents' car. Once we got on the road my Dad must have said something funny because they both started laughing. I then spoke up and said "Um Mom... Dad?" They both stopped laughing and said "Yes sweetheart?"
        I got kinda scared and said"I have a question." My Mom turned around and said "Yes baby?" I started to tear up and said "Okay... would you guys still love me... if I was gay?" My Mom said "Well of course we'd still love you!" My Dad said "Honey there is nothing you can do to take the love we have for you away from us! No matter what we'd still love you!!" I started to cry and my Mom said "Awww baby it's okay.." I then said "I just thought you would say no we wouldn't love you... and you would try to get me fixed." My Dad was the one driving and he said "No baby! We would never do that! In fact I wouldn't have had it any other way! Yes you won't be bringing any guys home! Bring all the girls over that you want! I didn't mean that um uh..." My Mom took over and said "What your Dad is actually trying to say is... we had love you Joy... and nothing will ever change that... and we are glad to know that no guy is going to break our baby's heart.... I would have had to kill someone... but now I probably won't!" I stopped crying. My Mom said "I have a lot of questions... but they can wait they can wait..." I just nodded and my Dad was driving. It looked like he was dancing.
      I stared at him. He thought in his head with a sing songy voice "Oh yeah my daughters gay! I'm so happy! I won't have to deal! With stupid boys! In my house! What what what what what! Oh yeah! They won't be.. touching my daughter.. I have nothing... to worry about! Oh yeah! Go James it's your birthday go James it's your birthday!" I had no idea what was going on in his head. I didn't really want to know either. My Mom saw and said "James.." He was still bopping his head. My Mom rolled her eyes and said in a frustrated voice " James O'hare do you hear your wife speaking to you." My Dad snapped out of it and said "Yes yes honey." My Mom crossed her arms. He took a quick glance and saw and he said "Yes my wonderful beautiful wife! Did I tell you you look gorgeous today! Well you are always gorgeous in anything everyday!" I was snickering in the back seat. My Mom rolled her eyes and said "Why were you dancing?" My Dad turned bright red in the face and said "Honey sweetheart honey blossom I don't know what you are talking about!"
        I covered my mouth so that I wouldn't laugh too hard. My Mom said "Oh don't even try to lie to me James Thomas O'hare!" I said quietly "Oh got the middle name in there you are sooo dead Dad Rest In Peace." I put my head down and laughed. My Mom continued to yell at my Dad. I couldn't help but laugh. When I got home I made sure I had all of my homework done. I was in my room and on my bed. Then my Mom said up the stairs "Joy! I got in contact with Elizabeth's Mother! They'll be coming over tomorrow! Elizabeth is gonna ride home with you from school!" My eyes widened and I gasped. I held my head with both hands and thought "Oh my god oh my god oh my god!!! What?! Why?! Ahhh they are gonna see our house oh god no!!" Our house was a big house. It was a mansion. We had our own private property. But my parents wanted to make me feel normal so they put me in public school. I thought "What if she thinks we think we are better than her?! I don't want that! Anything but that!!" I groaned and fell on my bed. I screamed into my pillow "Noooooo!!!!!" I kicked my legs like how a little spoiled brat would when their Mommy says they can't have ice cream. I took the pillow off of my face and said "No this can't be happening not now. I'm not ready." I didn't know what to do. Maybe I could have my Mom move it. After all it was a Wednesday. Why would we do it then? It would make more sense to do it on a Friday right?