Chapter 8

Elizabeth was there early and already sitting at her desk. I walked to my seat and sat down. I smiled and started to take out my supplies. I then said "Oh good morning Elizabeth." Elizabeth sat there not saying anything for a moment. She went back to thinking about the night before.  When she went the bed and went to sleep she had a dream. The dream was a dream that she never had dreamed of anything like it. She had a dream about Joy. In the dream Joy was sitting in a white room at a white piano in a white suit. She was wearing white converse sneakers. Her suit jacket was a tail coat. She smiled at Elizabeth and started to play "Don't stop me now" by Queen. I sang "Tonight I'm gonna have myself a real good time." When I sang this my eyes crossed "I feel ali-i-i-ve!" I uncrossed my eyes and sang "And the world it's turning inside out yeah floating around on ecstasy so." Played the piano to this "Don't stop me now. Don't stop me."

           I play faster "Cause I'm having a good time. Having a good time." I played the next part of the song as all of these background dancers came "Having a good time! I'm a shooting star leaping through the sky! Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity! I'm a racing car passing by! Like lady Godiva! I'm gonna go go go there's no stopping me!!"There's fireworks in the background. I said to Elizabeth back of the classroom "Hey um Elizabeth...." She didn't answer she was still thinking about the dream she had. She was in her own head. I said again "Elizabeth?" Elizabeth finally spoke up and said "Oh h-hi Joy! How's it going?!" I laughed and said "I'm doing great!" The bell rang and I smiled at her. She smiled back at me. I looked away and screamed in my head. I then thought in my mind "Oh my gosh!! Does she like me back?! How do I know if she likes me back?! How do I even know she's gay?!" I put my headphones back on. I turned on some classical music. The other students started to come in and she took a deep breath. I stopped smiling so hard. I was actually looking forward to Elizabeth coming over.

        I just wanted school to be over. I stayed focused and took notes in all of my classes. I was very self disciplined and didn't let myself get distracted throughout the entire day. Mrs. Williams didn't even bother coming to school today.I am pretty sure she was fired. We had this new teacher with a very positive attitude. It was almost too positive. Like she was on drugs or something.  Her name was Ms. Yandell. I came into the classroom and she ran over to me and shook my hand very quickly and said "Hi!! My name is Ms. Yandell it is wonderful and I mean wonderful to meet you!!!" She laughed and I put on this face of terror. I was trying to fake smile but I was terrified so it looked like I was in pain. She laughed and said "What's your name sweetheart?" I said "Oh um... my name is Joy..." She smiled and laughed she gave me a hug. I screamed in my head. She hugged me and moved from side to side and said as she did "It is wonderful to meet you!! I can tell you are gonna be a great student!!!" She let me go and another student came in and she said excitedly "Hi!!!" I went to my seat. I could see that other students weren't used to all of this affection from a complete stranger because they were rocking back and forth.

        One of the students was talking to himself and was saying repeatedly "Mommy I'm scared. Mommy I'm scared." I looked away from the student and sat down.  I started to unpack my supplies and the bell finally rang. I took a breath of relief. Ms. Yandell said "Hello class!! I am your new teacher my name isssssssss....... Ms. Yandell!!" Her powerpoint animated her name popping up with fire works and a crowd cheering. She clapped her hands. She said "Are we all excited about learning? Well I am!!" We all sat there just watching without saying anything. I took a note that said "Tell the teacher she is trying too hard.. or get off of meth.. it's really messing her up.." Joy looked back up and listened.  Yeah if I was sleepy before that class she woke me up. I wasn't tired at all when I walked out of that class room. Elizabeth caught up to me and said "I can't wait to eat lunch!" We started walking to our next class as Elizabeth said "One I'm super hungry because I skipped breakfast and two I can't wait to sing! I love singing with you. Oh and I have a suggestion for a song."