Chapter Thirteen: The Race Begotten

Chapter Thirteen

The Race Begotten

Nanase Haruka’s Point of View

            “Would all contestants for the Men’s Freestyle please step onto their panels for the start of the race,” the speakers boomed. “Repeat. Would all contestants for the Men’s Freestyle please step onto their panels for the start of the race.”

            “I guess that’s my cue,” I said as I left both Julia and Kasumi to themselves.

            Truth be told, I did like Julia a little back then . . . I found her as a “replacement” for Kasumi . . . but then I realized that Kasumi could never be replaced . . . She was the only one I truly loved. I know, love is too far away . . . I’m probably too naïve or young to understand this feeling completely . . . Maybe I’m an idiot. Heheh . . .

            I stepped onto the panel, pulled my swim cap on, and snapped my goggles one as well. If I beat Kasumi’s second place ranking, I might have a chance to see what her secret is . . . That is . . . if she actually tells the truth and not some other random secret of hers . . .

            “On your marks,” the announcer emphasized the suspense. “Get set . . . Go!”

            I dived into the waters—my home. It was where I felt best at . . . in the blue . . . and out of the blue . . . It was where my soul was when myself was not. This was where I’d be able show to Kasumi . . . that I was the one for her.

Mizushima Kasumi’s Point of View

            “Ugh-o,” Julia growled as she finally left me alone.

            Nanase would beat me now . . . I knew that . . . He would find out that I love him. Maybe I can just tell a lie and everything will be better . . . But, alas, that would brand me a liar, and my proud and ego would be wounded. Hahaha . . .

            A roar was heard throughout the stadium . . . the horn had blasted. I saw as Nanase drifted through the waters like that typical dolphin form of his . . . However, this swim of his had something different . . . Something was divergent about his strokes and kicks . . . It looked as if he had a “drive,” in place of his lost “USB” before. (Reference to Chapter Two)

            I watched as he reached his fifty meters end and flipped, then returning to the starting/ending point. Germany was trailed behind him slightly, managing to keep up with Haruka. America, on the other hand, was now ahead of Haruka by a few centimeters. As much as I didn’t want my secret to be spilled, I still wanted him to win.

            “Go, Haruka!” I shouted, not fearing the weird looks my peers were giving me, for they were quiet and more reserved, though I should be doing so as well.