Chapter Twenty-Seven: Under the Mistletoe

Under the Mistletoe

Mizushima Kasumi’s Point of View

            I sighed. It had already been a few days since Haruka’s triumph over the 500-meter world record in the freestyle category, and he was currently at a meeting with his new Head Coach and team for the Japanese Olympics. Rin was an all-rounder—put into al categories of freestyle, butterfly, breastroke, and backstroke. Nanase, on the other hand, though he knew how to swim otherwise, was put mainly into freestyle, though he would also be competing in breastroke and butterfly. Today’s meeting for him would be concerning other topics, such as scheduled practice times and other basic coachings needed for the Olympics.

            Meanwhile, I was at home, sewing the pieces of waterproof cloths together to miraculous form a legitimate pair of swimming trunks without it looking like a bunch of scraps knit together.

            I gave a sigh of annoyance yet again as  I failed to put the black thread into the needle’s hook.

            “Gosh, dang it,” I muttered before I finally got the thread through.

            It wasn’t very long until I had eventually made a valid pair of black swimming shorts, and now just needed to adorn the sides of the trunks with strips of cerulean blue cloths.

            Needle up. Needle down. Needle up. Needle down.

            Sewing like so was pretty simple, in one perspective. You just had to keep a consistent streak of congruent patches.

            “Yes!” I shouted in glee. “Only a scarf and to put pictures in the album to go before tomorrow! Christmas!”

            Yes, today was Christmas Eve, and Nanase and I were going to keep the day to just ourselves. Tomorrow, we planned to meet with Nagisa, Rei, Rin, and Makoto at the pool to simply enjoy the freedom and fun of the Christmas spirit.

            I then put away the needle into its appropriate case before taking out my thin crochet tool and the spindle of navy blue string, and began to crochet Nanase’s scarf from scratch.

            Just as I was about to start, a buzzing sound came from my phone.

Message from Nanase:

Doing okay?

Sent at 12:31 P.M.

            I smiled at his concern over literally nothing.

Message to: Nanase