Chapter 1: House-Elf

Zoe's POV

I sat on a chair beside my window as I stared thoughtfully on Harry's house. There's something wrong..

I've been trying to talk to Harry but there was something preventing us to even talk to each other. One day I saw Harry cleaning their front lawn, I went to talk to Harry but suddenly my mother called me. As I went in to ask her what she needed, I was confused because she doesn't have an idea what I was talking about. She said she never called me, but I swear I knew that it was her voice and no one else.

Then there was this one time where I saw Harry by the window. He saw me and was about to wave but his drapes suddenly closed. My eyebrows furrowed as I saw Harry's shadow trying to open the drapes but to no avail.

"There's something odd." I say to Death, who was reading a book beside me

"You staring at Harry's house for hours is odd." He said, flipping a page from the book he was reading.

I rolled my eyes even if he wasn't looking at me

"Not what I meant... Ron, Hermione and I are worried about Harry.. The both of them told me that they owl him every week but there came no response! In addition to this, I haven't talked to Harry since we both went home. It's as if there's a force that is preventing us to speak to him..."

Death was about to answer but I stopped him as I saw something rather peculiar.

It looked small, it had long ears that seem to flap with every move it takes, it wore something rather ghastly, because it seemed like this creature just took a dirty pillow case, cut the edges and just wore it for style. I was standing on my chair and my face was sticking at the window as I tried to clearly see the creature.

"Be careful! You might fall!" Death said as he tried to drag my foot down so I could step on the floor.

"Stop that!" I whisper-shouted, but Death didn't seem to care.

So I did what I had to.

I kicked him with my feet and I heard him fall on my floor and groan in pain. I smirked and stared at the creature. My eyebrows furrowed as I noticed that it was circling Harry's house, looking at his window every so often.

"You did not have to do that." I heard Death say.

"Oh shut up and look at that creature in front of Harry's house!"

I saw in my peripheral view that Death was looking at the window and we both stared at the creature.

"What is that?"

"Just looking at its ghastly appearance I have to say that it is a House Elf."

"And that is?" I asked, not tearing my eyes away from the house elf.

"A house elf is a creature that has big eyes and bat-like ears, they are known as servants of a powerful family, usually purebloods. Often they are treated poorly, like slaves. These elves punish themselves if they talk ill about their masters. But usually the family that the house-elf serves punish it more."

"If it serves a powerful family, why does it wear clothes like that?"

"It is a symbol that they are slaves. Every house elf wears clothes like that.... If you give a house-elf new clothes, then that symbolizes that they are free.. But not many do that. In addition, house-elves think of it as an insult if their masters give them new clothes."

I just nodded my head in understanding.. Poor creatures they are!

Suddenly, I saw an owl flying its way towards Harry's house.