Chapter 11: Unravel the Secrets

Zoe's POV

Zach and I immediately stood up from our seats and went out of the Great Hall, we were now making our way to the Ravenclaw Tower.

Zach stopped and pointed at the stairs that lead to the Ravenclaw tower.

"Wow... this is another exercise for me."  I said as I remembered that this morning I climbed more than 200 flights of stairs heading to the astronomy tower.

"It was dreadful for me when I was a first year student," Zach said, looking at the stairs "I've been going up and down the stairs for the whole year and everytime I reach the top, I perspire so much that I look like someone fresh out of water."

I nodded, I know how difficult it is to climb stairs "Going down is easy, but climbing up? It's torture."  I said and he chuckled.

I took a deep breath and lead the way up, as if it was my dormitory we were heading. It was awfully tiring, when we were almost at the top, my thighs were burning. They were screaming to stop but I keep climbing up. My greatest apologies to my body, but I badly need the answers.. And I need it now.

I felt relieved when Zach and I were finally in front of a door. It didn't have a keyhole or a door knob, instead, it had a bronze knocker in a shape of an eagle. Before I could ask Zach how to open it, the eagle knocker suddenly moved and talked

"Only those of quick wit and mind are permitted to enter Ravenclaw tower. If you wish to join your peers, you must prove yourself by answering a riddle."  It said.

I was impressed. They need not a password, instead, you have to answer a riddle to prove that you are a Ravenclaw.

"What if you answer incorrectly?"  I asked Zach

"Then you have to wait until someone comes and gives the correct answer. You think you can handle a riddle from the Ravenclaw tower?"  He asked as he leaned on a wall and gave me a smirk, as if saying that I can't do it. I scoffed and smirked back.

"Of course I can. I am, as you've heard, smart."  I said confidently.

"Alright then.. What riddle must be answered?"  Zach said to the eagle knocker.

"You can only answer within a minute, if not, then you fail to prove yourself, understood?"

"Of course." I said

"Tear off one and scratch its head, what was red's now black instead."

"Easy.. It's a matchstick."  I said

"Correct."

It was easy, the head of a matchstick is red, so when you scratch it on the igniter of a matchbox, the head flames up and burns, making the red head black. I looked at Zach to see that he was impressed.

"Welcome student, you may now enter."

"Awesome."  I muttered.

As the door opened by itself, I was amazed at the sight of the Ravenclaw common room. It is a wide, circular room with arched windows hung with blue and bronze silks and a midnight blue carpet covered in stars, which is reflected onto the domed ceiling. I stared at the ceiling, admiring the star-like view it gave me.

"They're like your eyes if you think of it."  Zach said as he walked beside me.

"This is Rowena Ravenclaw, the founder of our house."  He said as he went beside a tall statue of a woman.