Chapter 15

Mindy.

Oh.

Just hearing her name brought memories I had tried to suppress for decades. Well isn't this week fun, let's all take a trip down Memory Lane and think about all the horrors you've tried - and tens of doctors have tried to get you - to forget about. Huh. 

"Mindy?" 

I didn't even bother opening my mouth because I was too drained to deal with anything else. At least this is a good thing right? Mindy is one of the good guys, right?

Dear god I hope so. 

"Hey, Nick, why don't we let your mother rest, she can talk about this later, yeah?"

Hearing me being called a, 'mother' is just plain weird. Seriously. I wanted to maybe have kids in my early thirties, but here I am, in my early thirties, with teenage kids who I don't know. Funny how life is, isn't it? 

I guess Derek grudgingly agreed, sensing that since I was not putting up a fight, 'Mindy' must not be out to hurt us. 

"Wait, wait, wait, Matt has a sister?!" 

I was so close to the peace and quiet of this foreign room. So close.

"Come on, we'll come back later, don't worry."

I nodded and watched as they turned to walk away, Derek slowly following with. 

My goodness. 

My freaking goodness.

This is a good thing, right? I haven't had much good things happen recently. Or, well, since I was a young teenager. 

After just trying to meditate and zone everything out, I heard a very quiet knock. 

Soon light crept in, as someone else did too. 

"Oh, sorry to bother you, I just think I forgot something" Amy whispered.

See, everyone around me seems to think I am some emotionally unstable woman who...who am I kidding, I am an emotionally unstable woman. While she was searching around the room, I tried to close my eyes again. 

Nothing those horrible memories popped up.

"Hey-" I stated, scaring Amy from my sudden speaking, "-so can you tell me what is really happening? I just want to know. Good or bad, just tell me. Please," I begged her.

She seemed to hesitate for a few seconds and then slowly got closer to the bed. 

"May I?" she motioned to the opposite side of the large bed I was lying on. 

I nodded.

"I know what you're thinking, this is all a huge mess and a disaster. And trust me; it is."

Finally someone telling me the truth.

"But, I think there is actual hope."

In my head, I scoffed. 'Hope?' What a fickle word. Every time I 'hoped' for something Life just ended up spitting in my face. You can't get as hurt if you don't even hope for anything, right? Less disappointment if you aren't expecting anything.

"Despite Nick, everything has been going according to our plan. I really do think we have a chance at finally getting you justice."

Yeah, yeah, that's what I've heard all before. Usually I would nod my head and pretend like I agreed but not today.

"How so? What's done is done, my life is messed up, what's the point? What's the point in 'getting justice' after all these years?" I exclaimed, sounding a tad bit harsher than I meant it to be. "Sorry, I'm....I'm just confused."