3.08

• • • • • •

• • • • • •

{Chapter 8: It Feels So Good To Be Bad}

"'The sun shines during the day." Mr. Matthews will argue the affirmative. "Mr Matthews starts the morning. 'Good morning, everybody. You know why people say that in the morning? Paam! Nailed it" Riley opens the blinds.

"How can you possibly lose?" Maya says. "Like this" Rose says smiling at Farkle.

"First of all, let's understand that day and night are merely words invented by human beings to communicate simple conceptual constructs apropos of nothing" Farkle starts. "You're so hot when you talk all smart"

"Thank you. Thank you very much. Anyway, science tells us that the sun is always shining and what appears to be day and night is merely our angle of proximity at a particular time to the Earth's revolution. And, for extra credit, there's no such thing as time" Farkle says while Riley makes faces. "Time!" Riley yells.

"Our debate topic therefore, is false. The sun does not just shine during the day, it also shines during the night, just not on us" Farkle says. "I win" Riley laughs.

"How do you win, Sunshine?" Rose speaks up. "Because I have high hopes. Because when you believe passionately-"

"And our debate winner is Farkle Minkus!" Cory cuts the girl off. "I don't understand. I said what I believed. How could that be wrong?"

"There's no wrong, Riley. But there are rules to a debate" Matthews says. "Okay, who cares about the rules when we know that the sun shines during the day?"

"That's interesting, isn't it? How often do we get so lost in what we think, that we refuse to listen to what the other side has to say, huh? You guys know why we debate in history class? History teaches us that most wars start because we don't listen to the other point of view" Matthew's says. "I'm not trying to start a war. I just think it's okay to feel strongly about what you believe in"

"Riley, it's not enough to go through life without considering the other point of view" The father tries to explain. "Oh, I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. The sun was in my ears"