Chapter 6

the miracle of xmas day | 06

HARRIET'S HEART WAS BURNING. Her legs were burning. She seriously needed to start working out. Those five minute zumba videos online just weren't cutting it.

She didn't stop running until she burst through the hospital door, dashed up the stairs, and finally stood in front of room 222.

The room seemed quiet, but Harriet wasn't fooled. The last time the room was this quiet, Isaac was unconscious.

She opened the door.

"Harriet!" Ms. Benchman jumped out her chair and into Harriet's arms. She was laughing.

Laughing?

Immediatley, Harriet swiveled to look at Isaac. What was so funny? He looked normal, still hooked up to monitors and machines, a long IV tube connected his hand. His caramel face stared back at her with chubby cheeks pulling back into a smile.

He was smiling. And so was the doctor. Harriet's eyes furrowed. Did I miss something? Did everyone find out that I have to dance with Daniel?

"Am I missing something?"

"Dr. Jensen, please tell my daughter what you've just told me," her mom exhaled, "about Isaac."

Dr. Jensen grinned. "It would be my pleasure. Harriet, I'm happy to inform that your brother has found a bone marrow donor."

Confusion reigned.

"This is amazing, considering all the odds, the benefactor appeared just in time, or else your brother would have had to stop chemo without any alternative. But now, ms. Benchman, so many more possibilities have opened up. With the new bone marrow cells, new non-cancerous plasma can be formed..."

Harriet stopped listening after the word 'non-cancerous'. Non-cancerous cells? A non-cancerous body? A non-cancerous life?

Isaac is going to be okay?

Days and weeks of worry came crashing down on her in hard, heavy torrents. The feeling was overwhelming. She rushed to her little brother and hugged him. Isaac nuzzled her neck.

"Harry, I going to get a surgery!" Isaac looked radiant.

"I know, little buddy!" Harriet turned to the Dr. Jensen. "Thank you."

The doctor smiled, and with a quick wave, left the room. Harriet let out an exhausted woop.

"Can I get a chair? I just ran a good four miles, and I do not enjoy running when there isn't a life threatening emergency on the line."

- - - - -

"Honey, you should probably go get something to eat. Isaac is asleep. You haven't eaten since you got here."

Now that she thought about it, her stomach was grumbling. Quite viciously, too.

"I'll be back," Harriet vehemently replied, but nevertheless got up and headed to the cafeteria.

The mindless, sterile halls of the hospital was bombarding Harriet with bad memories. The sound of the shrill screech of a siren echoed in her head. The antiseptic smell made Harriet think about Isaac.

He was her everything. Her hero, her best friend. And now, her survivor.

She entered the cafeteria for the first time without feeling nervousness gnawing at her.

While she scooped some cheap eggs onto her plate, Harriet's mind wandered back to Isaac. She smiled.

Non-cancerous. Her smile widened. "Non-cancerous," she whispered to herself. Testing the word in her mouth. Loving the way it rolled off her tongue.

Soon, she was full out radiating happiness.

Then, she turned around, and her mood plummeted faster than Wile. E. Coyote falling down a canyon.

Daniel Mormon was standing in front of her, looking utterly confused.

"Harriet?"