Chapter 10

harriet and the booteus maximus | 10

HARRIET WAS ZONING out when the bell rang. She didn't usually zone out, especially during physics, but she couldn't stop thinking about last night.

About what Daniel had said.

Stop it! Harriet shook her head. She never had these thoughts, for as long as she could remember. And the moment Daniel drunkenly vomited those words, she was turning into every pathetic girl who swooned over him. She walked out of class after gathering her books.

She decided that she wasn't going to dwell on it.

She saw Yara a few feet away, and sidled up to her. "Yara! Let's go to lunch." Yara smiled up at her. A pleasant conversation started between them as they resumed their journey to the cafeteria.

They walked for a good two minutes, before Harriet felt a sharp push to her back, and she toppled over with her books in tow. Yara squeaked in surprise. Harriet just rolled her eyes.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" Harriet looked up to see Daniel and Colton staring up at her. Colton had a smug smirk plastered onto his face. "Here, let me help you."

Colton bent over, gathering Harriet's books in his arms, and held out his hands. Harriet looked askance at him, carefully picking the books out his grip.

"Thanks," Harriet mumbled, bringing her books closer to her chest. She wasn't surprised at this encounter with Colton, but she was surprised at how conscious she was in front of Daniel.

"No problem babe," Colton grinned, before surreptitiously putting his hand behind her and grabbing her rear end.

Her tushy. Her keister. Her gluteus maximus. Her hunkers.

Harriet froze. Did he just-

She looked up to see Daniel staring at her, looking aghast.

"Did you just-" Harriet gaped at Colton, but Colton wasn't paying attention to her. He was laughing at Daniel.

"Dude, Seb was right. Her ass is-"

Before Colton could finish his sentence, he was cut off by Daniel's fist connecting with his face.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

Daniel had never punched anyone in his life, until now.

And it hurt, really bad.

"Damn," he whispered to himself, looking down at Colton.

"Dude, what the fuck!" Colton yelled, pressing his hand into his cheek, where Daniel hit him.

Daniel forgot about the throbbing pain in his hand; the blood rushing to his head and the searing anger was blocking out any sensation. "Apologize to her."

Daniel could faintly hear yelling in the background, but he was too focused on Colton and his shitty personality. Embarrasement burned through his cheeks at witnessing such a degrading scene. He couldn't take it anymore.

He was done with his bullshit.

"I'm not going to do anything you tell me to do," Colton sneered, wiping away a trace of blood from the cut.

Daniel pulled him up by his collar. "I said apologize to her!"

Colton shook his head, before pulling his arm back and punching him in the jaw.

Daniel's skull rattled. The pain was white hot, like a knife had just stabbed him in the jaw. He licked his lips after a minute of standing in shock, and a metallic taste greeted him back.

"You little piece of shit," Daniel growled, before lunging for Colton and smacking him against the wall.

"Daniel!" Harriet was screaming pretty loud by now. "Daniel, put him down!" Yara, looked petrified. Harriet softly told her something, and the girl quickly nodded before scurrying away.

Daniel snapped his gaze up to Harriet, who was looking in between bewildered and irate. Daniel dropped Colton, who fell to the ground like a bag of rice. A groan left his lips.

"I-I," Daniel hopelessly tried to explain what had just happened, but Harriet shushed him with a groundbreaking glare.

"Shut up, you idiot," she hissed, grabbing his hand and pulling him away from the site of devastation. "We have to get you cleaned up. You look like hell."