Chapter 18

combustion is an act of peace | 18

EXPLOSIVE. IF DANIEL COULD only use one word to describe the feeling of kissing Harriet, he'd have to say explosive.

Because when their lips met, he didn't feel a symphony orchestra echoing in his head, or the mellow calmness that came with a slow, passionate kiss. No, he felt like he was going to spontaneously combust, like every part of his body which touched her was going to catch on fire.

And whatever he was feeling at the moment, he hoped that it was never going to stop.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

The first thought going through Harriet's head was oh my god his lips are soft.

She didn't seem to mind the way her heart was beating very fast, or how his hand tightened on her waist, because all she could think about was what kind of chap stick he used for such nice lips.

The cheering crowd didn't die down for a few minutes, wild clapping and whistles echoing throughout the stadium. Maybe Harriet would regret this one day, but all she did in the moment was snake her arms up his chest and bring herself closer to him.

He smelled like sweat and cinnamon, an unlikely combination that she didn't seem to mind. Actually, she didn't seem to mind a lot right then, she could only focus on the fact that she was kissing Daniel.

Daniel Mormon.

She smiled against his lips, and after a second, Daniel broke the kiss and leaned back to examine her. Harriet felt anxiety seize her for a moment, but it all melted away when she saw Daniel break out in a grin that lit up the stage. He looked adorable, with his rumpled shirt and lopsided grin; all she wanted to do was wrap her arms around his neck and kiss him again. Her heart fluttered.

"Hi," she breathed out, and the cheering seemed to fade away in the background.

"Hey," he replied, ignoring the shuffling as the curtains started to draw together. His gaze seemed to intensify with that simple word.

"What kind of chap stick do you use?" She blurted out, still looking at him, hypnotized. Daniel laughed, before leaning over and touching his nose with hers. "Burts Bees," he replied.

Harriet nervously chuckled with him, wondering how he was acting so calm. She felt like a stampede of elephants would be softer than her heart banging against her rib cage. It unnerved her how she couldn't get enough of his chocolate eyes, or the way his freckles looked like gold paint splatters on his fair face. She couldn't get enough of staring at him. Ew.

Right then, she knew that she was forever and always going to have a hate-love relationship with the emotions attached to the boy standing next to her. But she also realized that nothing would ever be the same after this day. 

"Let's stop hating each other," she whispered, slowly making eye contact with him. She was Harriet Benchman, the epitome of fearlessness. So she wouldn't be afraid. Like her brother had said, change was something you have to except, and maybe she was going start with this. Small steps did lead to big changes.

Daniel let his ground breaking smile loose. (It was like staring at a beam of light). 

"I wouldn't mind that."

------

Why is Tom webb so cute. I seriously can't ok he is life