Chapter 11

bruises, cuts, and a kick in the nuts | 11

"OW," DANIEL COMPLAINED, wincing as Harriet forced more antiseptic solution onto the cuts on his face.

"Shush, you big baby," Harriet absentmindedly said as she wiped his face. A part of his right cheek was starting to bloat and bruise, and his lip was split in the middle. Harriet wanted to chuckle when she envisioned how he was going to look in a few days. Eat that, pretty boy.

However, as soon as the thought came, she frowned, reliving the scene that had just played out a few minutes ago. She was annoyed, but also... Proud? Surprised? Maybe just a little bit turned on? No. Not turned on. Any guy looks hot when he fights!

"Yara is coming with a few bandaids," Harriet mentioned, dabbing on the last cut with a fluid, final motion. Daniel's eyes met hers.

Daniel didn't say anything, he just continued to stare at her. Harriet gulped nervously. Was she suppose to keep on staring or start another conversation?

Clearing her throat awkwardly, she willed for the defiant, and confident girl that resided within her. "Why did you do that?" She scolded without force. "Colton's probably going to tell the principal and you're going to get in trouble."

And it was true. Harriet's list of Daniel-did-what? was getting longer by the minute. The fight scene was the icing on the cake.

Daniel shrugged. "He was being a dick. I acted impulsively."

Harriet huffed. "Well, I can stand up for myself, thank you very much."

A smile flitted across his lips. "Yeah, I know that."

Palpable tension drifted through the air as both confused teenagers stared at the floor. Harriet was close to bursting when Yara ran through the bathroom door.

"I got the bandaids!" She cried triumphantly, handing them to Harriet. Harriet thanked her (for the bandaids, and for saving her from standing there is deathly silence), and then gave the box to Daniel.

"Go home. Get some rest." She uncomfortably shifted on her feet. "I'll tell Wright what really happened."

Daniel opened his mouth, an unnameable emotion apparent in his eyes. "Harriet, I-"

Harriet shushed him with her palm. "Don't speak, you'll aggravate your lips." She winced. "Go. I'm not going to be this nice forever."

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

Harriet walked out of the bathroom with Yara trailing silently behind her.

She had some unfinished business to take care of.

She entered the cafeteria with confident strides, beelining for Daniel's table. Sebastian looked up from his friends and scrunched his eyebrows in confusion when he saw Harriet walking towards them. He immediately started whispering to Colton, who's back was towards her. Harriet was surprised that Colton was here; she was expecting him to be ratting out Daniel by now.

Colton had just turned around when Harriet slapped him across the face.

A resounding smack seemed to echo throughout the cafeteria halls. Sebastian gawked silently from behind.

"Just so you know, Daniel has left school." Her voice was cold and heated at the same time. Colton cradled his cheek and his mouth formed a silent 'o'. "And if you tell Wright about anything, I'm going to tell her what you did. I have two witnesses, so don't even open your mouth unless you want to kiss that football scholarship goodbye."

The best way to describe Colton at the moment was plain, shocked. To Harriet's relief, Colton still had an ugly bruise on his left cheek. She smiled. Let's hope the slap mark compliments it.

"Oh, and also," she looked him up and down, before kicking him extremely hard in between his legs. Colton let out a breathless oof before falling to the ground. "Don't ever touch me, again."

Harriet turned around to walk with Yara to her table, and all hell broke loose.