Stars

"Why should I lend you my precious telescope?" Mingyu raised a brow at Vernon, arms folded on his chest. "We're not even friends."

Vernon can't help but roll his eyes at Mingyu's childishness. He has no other choice but to approach him since Wonwoo is being an emotional wreck right now. And besides, he knows that Mingyu has a secret crush on Dahyun. He will use it as an opportunity to borrow a telescope from him.

"Dahyun wants to do stargazing," he said. "And you're the only rich brat I know who also owns a telescope." When he saw Mingyu's face lightened up by just hearing Dahyun's name, he wants to change his mind and just go to his house and get his own telescope. But he's still not ready to face his mother.

"Why didn't you say so? Wait for a minute," Mingyu said as he hurriedly went in his room to search for his telescope.

Vernon wiped his sweat and heaved a sigh of relief. "Well, that was fast."

---

"Ta-dah!" Vernon placed the telescope in front of Dahyun. "Your Highness, the telescope is here now," he did a royal bow which made Dahyun chuckled.

"That was fast."

"Well, I thought the same thing too. But we both know that Mingyu has a secret crush on you, so yeah," Vernon emphasized the words "secret crush" and slightly rolled his eyes.

"Really? Mingyu lend us his telescope?" Dahyun's eyes widened. She looked at the telescope in awe. "This looks really expensive."

"Well the brat just own this hospital, so what do we expect?" Vernon shrugged his shoulders, sounding a little sarcastic.

Dahyun suddenly gasped which startled Vernon. "Why? What's wrong?" he panickly asked.

"Did you just said that Mingyu has a crush on me? The Kim Mingyu?" Dahyun asked.

Vernon chuckled and sat beside her on the hospital bed. "Yeah. Isn't it obvious?"

Dahyun blinked. "Well... he's really handsome -- "

"Woah woah woah WOAH," Vernon stood up. "Don't you dare compliment that brat in front of me. You know very well what he did to us before."

"But he changed now. He even lend us his precious telescope. And he even has a secret crush on me. Which is not a secret anymore."

Vernon scoffed. "I'm being a jealous freak now, right?" he asked which made Dahyun laughed. He made a face and walked away from her. He sat on the far end corner of the room. "Okay, you may continue complimenting that rich brat. I don't mind," he said, looking away.

Dahyun laughed even more, tears forming in her eyes. "Oh, Vernon."

Vernon knows that he's acting like a child now. But it's just pure acting. He just wants to make Dahyun laugh and he did it successfully. How he wish he can always hear her addicting laughs.

"Come back here," Dahyun motioned for him to sit beside her. "Please?" she's pouting her lips and Vernon fights the urge to run on her side.

"No, it's okay. I'm fine just by sitting here," he said, playing hard to get.

"But I want you here with me!" Dahyun cutely opened her arms wide, "Come back here, please?" she now starts waving her arms.

He knows that he can't resist her cuteness. When he finally looked at her, all his guards began crumbling down and he found himself sprinting his way on her direction. "Gosh, why are so cute?" He's now standing in front of her and he let her wrapped her arms around his waist. He smiled so wide while gently patting her head. "My baby girl is so cute."

Dahyun looked up and gave her a toothy smile.

He chuckled and bent down to plant a soft kiss on her forehead.

---

After Vernon set things up on the rooftop, he immediately went back to fetch Dahyun.

He saw her putting her socks. He helped her and made sure that she's wearing a thick clothes because the weather's really cold outside.

"How do you want me to carry you, Princess?" He playfully asked which earned him a light slap on the chest.

"Just piggyback me," she said.

"Nah. I want to carry you bridal style."

"Vernon! Don't you dare!" She pinched his arm when he attempts to carry her bridal style.

"Oww! Okay! Okay! Piggyback it is!" He hissed but smiled right away when Dahyun began to laugh.

---

"They said that stars are the souls of the ones we love," Dahyun said out of the blue.

They are now at the rooftop, doing the first thing they wrote down on their bucket list which is stargazing.

Vernon is busy searching for the stars with the use of Mingyu's telescope when he heard Dahyun's words. He stopped for a moment and sat beside her on the bench.

He stared at her beautiful side profile. She's staring up at the starry sky.

"Souls?" he asked, pulling Dahyun closer to him, to keep her warm.

Dahyun hummed, resting her head on his chest.

"Your father must be one of those stars," he said, playing with her hair.

"Yeah. And he must be feeling lonely," she said with full longing.

Vernon knows where this conversation is heading so he decided to keep his mouth shut because he doesn't want to hear Dahyun talking about death and anything similar to it.

He is still not ready to let her go.

No. Not now.

It's still early to say goodbye.

Dahyun did not realized that Vernon became quiet for she is deep in her thoughts.

Thinking about dying just made her feel scared but at the same time, she thinks about her father. What if he's feeling alone up there?