Epilogue

Vernon's POV

The day finally arrived. It was so unexpected, I was not able to prepare myself. Although I knew this would happen, but still I never prepare myself for the pain that will come and the loss that I will forever bear.

Dahyun is in a peaceful place now. I am happy that finally the pain and agony she's feeling are gone. She no longer needs to stay in the hospital, undergo check-ups, cry everytime her body is in pain, and pretend that she is fine.

As I hug tightly the urn where her ashes are placed, I can't help but tear up as I remember all of the struggles she faced alone. Those three years that I was away from her. Those three years that I forget about her.

The fact that she waited for me to come back. The fact that she declined doing a chemotherapy so her appearance won't change, so I won't be having a hard time remembering her. The fact that she insists on going to school even though her body is already feeling weak just to bravely approach me and make me soon remember her. The fact that Dahyun did all those things for me. Because she loves me.

I let out a sob as we get near the sea, the place where she found peace. Behind me are Wonwoo and Mingyu who are also in deep pain and sorrow.

Who would've thought that the three of us will be this close? Yeah, it's because of her. I bet she's smiling right now when she sees us walking together to take her home.

Our feets are drenched in water. We don't care if it's cold. What matters is that we're here to take Dahyun home, to the sea where she finds peace.

I slowly open the urn. I grabbed a handful of her ashes. Then I whispered on it, "You are now free from pain, my love." After that, I carefully scattered her ashes on the sea.

Wonwoo and Mingyu soon joined me.

"I will miss you, Dahyun," Mingyu said through his tears. "I am still very sorry for what I did to you in the past. I have so much regrets. I really wish that we could at least be together for a long time so I can make it up with you. But I'm happy that you are in a peaceful place now. You will no longer suffer from your illness. I promise that I will be a good guy. I will  try my best not to argue with any of these two guys." He paused for a moment and sighed. "I will never forget you, Dahyun. Rest in peace."

"Dahyun-ah," Wonwoo called out. "Are you seeing us right now? You must be very happy to see me hanging out with these two." We all smiled and chuckled a bit. Wonwoo sighed and became serious. "I miss you already," he bite his lip as he started to tear up. "You are my source of strength, my happiness, my everything. I just can't believe that you're gone now." A moment of silence came, only the loud waves of the sea can be heard. "I've always loved you..." Wonwoo sobbed, wiping his tears with his arms. "I'm sorry for the pain I've caused you and your family. It may be an accident, but still... " Mingyu and I approached Wonwoo, we gently patted his back. "I'm so sorry, Dahyun."

When it was my turn to say something, I was loss of words. I just can't seem to say something. Simply because the only thing I'm feeling now is missing her. I want to say, "Please come back," but that will never happen. Dahyun is gone and all I have to do is to continue living.

As we finished scattering all of her ashes on the sea, I asked Wonwoo and Mingyu to go ahead first.

When they were gone, I sat on the spot where me and Dahyun watched the sunset.

This time, I'm sitting here alone.

I closed my eyes, savoring the cold air breeze.

"I know you're here with me," I said. "I'm feeling cold, Dahyun. Can you please give me a hug?" I asked. If a normal people passed by, they will think that I'm crazy, talking to no one.

But after a few seconds, I felt warmth all around my body. I can't help it. I teared up while still closing my eyes. I can feel Dahyun embracing me. "Dahyun-ah..." I vision her smiling at me, hugging me so tight. "Can you please stay with me for a while? Please? Just for the last time?" I pleaded. In my vision, I saw her nodding her head. "Thank you." And with that, I savor that moment when I'm on Dahyun's arms, the two of us watching the sunset, even though it's just my imagination.

When the sun already set, the warmth is gone and was replaced with coldness. As I slowly opened my eyes, I saw Dahyun standing by the sea, smiling at me. I stood up, dusted off my pants and slowly approached her. She began walking on the sea. "Dahyun, where are you going?" I asked, trying to follow her. But she still continues to walk on the water. "Dahyun, wait." I stopped when my feet met the cold water. "Dahyun!" I called out for her. Finally, she turned around and faced me.

"Will you be fine there?" I asked her. She smiled and nodded her head.

I took a step, trying to get close to her, but she stopped me.

I wiped my tears. "Are you saying goodbye now?" I asked.

Her smile was gone and was replaced with sadness. She slowly nodded her head.

"I love you..." I told her.

"I love you too," she mouthed.

And for the last time, we bade goodbye to each other with smiles on our faces. I took a step back as I watched Dahyun slowly fades away along with the strong waves.

Soon, darkness took over. As I stared at the sky, I saw one star that shines the most. I don't have to ask who is it.

I know that from up there, she's staring down at me.

"Goodbye, Dahyun."

Author's Note:

And it's finally done!
My first ever COMPLETED story :)

Thank you to everyone who has been reading this story since the first chapter up until the last one.

I really appreciate the votes and comments :)

If you checked out GDFISHY's UPCOMING STORIES, I included a Dahyun x Vernon story. I can't tell when I will be posting that story, so for now, please wait a bit.

For now, (I will shamelessly), advertise my other ON-GOING stories. You can see them when you viewed my profile :)

Again, thank you! :)

xoxoGDFISHY