Awakening

There were tubes connected yo your veins and nostrils. You looked to your left and saw a window. Then looked to your right and saw Mark. He was sleeping.

He must have stayed overnight.

You sat up and saw the nurse coming in with a breakfast tray. "How are you feeling?" He had a deep, muscular voice. "I've been better, but I'm fine. Thank you." You said. The food on the tray looked like it was leftover from the day before. When you looked over at Mark again he was awake and rubbing his eyes. You could tell that he said up late. Probably to make sure you were OK. There were two remotes on the nightstand. One was connected to the bed, the other was for the TV. You slept in a horizontal position, so you decided to move to a vertical position. You didn't know what any buttons on the remote did, but you pressed one and the bed stated to move.

You saw the doctor come in and move the curtain. "I came to ask you some questions." The doctor sat on the chair next to you. "Do you have shortness of breath?" He asked looking at you. "Yes, sort of." You said. He was writing down every word. "And you said you were coughing blood?" "Yes, sir." You were worried. "Do you have chest pain?" He was still writing on his clipboard. "Yes." Mark looked at you, he knew what was happening. "Have you smoked, or have ever been around someone that smokes?" He asked. "Yes, I've been around my mom and dad, but that was when I was a kid." You answered. He looked up at you, then looked at Mark.

You blacked out when you heard the doctor say "I'm sorry, but you could possibly have stage two lung cancer."

Again, you woke up, but this time, it was in the middle of the night. You turned to Mark, he was staring at you with tears running down your face. "Hi." You stuck your hand out to Mark. He put your hand in his and squeezed it lightly. He was crying. "I don't know if I can live without you." He said, kissing your hand. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying with you." Blinking made you sleepy, so you tried not to blink. Mark leaned forward over the bed. He was now on his knees. "You can't leave me. I love you."