Awake

I was pulled away from my blissful visit as someone started to shake me and call out my name. I opened my eyes slowly, trying to adjust to the dim lighting of the room. It didn't take me long, so I looked over at the person who woke me.

He stared at me with wonder. His big, dark brown eyes found mine as I struggled for breath. His skin is tan, as if he had some heritage or visits the beach a lot. He had slight stubble that was aligned perfectly against his strong jaw. He had pitched black hair that was slightly messy: probably from running his hands through it.

He looked genuinely concerned for me. His eyes traveled over every part of my body, but in a non-checking-me-out way.

"Are you okay?" his voice was deep, but soft.

I shook my head slowly, not feeling any pain on my body. "Who are you?"

"Name's Adam. Who are you? How'd you get here?"

The name rang a bell in my mind, but I couldn't place where I heard it. "I'm Brianne. Erebus kidnapped me and brought me here."

"I could've guessed that. We all were pretty much brought here against our will."

"You're a slave too?"

"Kind of."

I looked past him and noticed that I was in a different room. This room looked nothing like the ones in the mansion: the walls were completely made out of wood. It looked like I was in a cabin. There were two windows covered by red velvet curtains. But I could see through a small space and only saw trees. It was getting dark out.

I was laying on a huge canopy bed make out of dark, oak wood. The bed was decorated with red velvet sheets and pillows. The duvet was super soft and fluffy. And sheer red cloth hung down from the top of the bed.

"Where am I?"

"You're in my cabin."

"Why don't you live with the other people at the mansion?"

"I can't tell you that."

"Why not?"

"Erebus won't let me."

I started to panic. "Is he here?"

"No, he can't find me here."

"How?"

"I have some friends who made sure of that."

"How did I get out of there?"

"I got you out. They left you on the floor passed out; I was inside stealing some supplies when found you. I brought you here."

"Where exactly is 'here'?"

"We are a couple miles away from the mansion."

I nodded my head, mumbling a 'thank you' to him before attempting to get up. Adam grabbed the tip of my elbow gently to try and steady me. When he thought I was steady enough to walk by myself Alex let go of me. I walked over to a brightly lit room: expecting it to be a bathroom. What I didn't expect was it to be a huge one.

The floor and sink was made of while marble towel with white drawers next to the white toilet and under the sink. There was a huge walk-in shower and a multi-jet Jacuzzi next to it.

I looked over at the mirror and gasped. I was super pale with a dark purple and blue bruise around the right side of my lip and jaw. There was dried blood on my lip from where it split and bruises around my neck from when he choked me. There were also dark circles under my eyes that brought out the paleness in my features. I looked tired.

"How'd you get that?" Adam asked me: gesturing towards the bruises along my face and neck.

"Erebus." he nodded his head in understanding.

"Well, I'm going to get ready. I need to get the supplies I forgot at the mansion yesterday."

"Did I sleep that long?"

"Yea, but you seem fine now."

"Why do you steal supplies when you work there?"

"I don't exactly work there anymore. Erebus doesn't know that I'm here anymore so he doesn't supply me anymore."

I wanted to push further, but I knew he wasn't going to give up any information. He walked out of the bathroom and rummaged around some drawers in the bedroom. Adam grabbed some clothes and walked out the room. I wanted to explore so I left the room a few moments later. I walked into a living room and found a big, white fluffy couch facing a wood coffee table and fireplace. And to my surprise, there was a huge flat screen TV on top of the fireplace. Behind the couch were a marble bar and a huge kitchen with an island in the middle. All the appliances were a grey silver color and the wood cabinets were decorated with carved-in vines. The counters and island was made of marble too.

Adam walked out of a door wearing a pair of dark wash jeans and a tight-fitted black t-shirt. I had started to question why he stayed here if Erebus didn't know he was here. That's what he said right? So why does he stay? Was there someone here that he was waiting for?

"Somehow, he bought a ring and proposed to me last year. Weeks later, Erebus found out and killed Adam in front of me."

I gasped. I figured out why he sounded so familiar. Even though I've never seen him before, I knew it was him.

"You're supposed to be dead."

That caught his attention. He stopped in his tracks with the door wide open. He looked at me as if I was crazy.

"Excuse me?"

"She said Erebus killed you in front of her."

"Who?" he was getting nervous.

"Olivia. That's why you stay don't you? To get Olivia out."

"She's talked to you then?"

"Yes, and she's hard to get through. When do you plan to get her out?"

"Soon, it's been too long since I've seen her."

"And it needs to be fast, Erebus seems to be making a move on her."

"I know, he's been trying to do so for years. Has it gotten worse?"

"I'm not sure how he was before I got there, but with what he's doing now, I really get angry when I see him. He must sense it too, because when I come around he runs off."

"You must have him under your thumb."

"That's what I used to think. Something pushed him over the edge though. He used to not hurt me."

"Well, he's gonna be really mad if he finds you."

"I won't be here long enough for him to find me."

**********

~Hades & Persephone