Chapter 3

I didn't go to school the next day. Nor did I go the day after. I knew my mom didn't really care. She's always hated me. My dad used to protect me from her, but he's in the military and he's currently in Iraq.

    On friday, I finally worked up the courage to go to school again. The day was relatively uneventful until lunch. I sat alone, due to my "friends" deciding to ditch me. I spent most of the lunch period eating alone, but near the end, I felt someone plop down on the other side of the table. I looked over to see Lukas smiling at me.

    "Hey, Jesse," he greeted. I mouthed a small 'hey' before looking down at the meal that I had barely touched. We sat in uncomfortable silence for a few seconds before Lukas spoke again. "You feeling any better?" he asked. I shook my head. He sighed and looked down, obviously uncomfortable.

    "Want to come sit with me and the other ocelots? Doesn't look very fun to sit alone," he chuckled. I narrowed my eyes at him. "You know your friends hate me, right?" I said. He shrugged, obviously unsure of how to respond to my comment. "No they don't," he finally said. I snorted. "Yeah, they do. You guys are the cute, popular rich kids, and I'm... well, I'm the freak," I said. After a few moments of awkward silence, Lukas decided to change the subject. "So... do you have any hobbies?" he asked. I shrugged before hesitantly responding.

    "Um... I dance," I said. His eyes immediately widened. "Really? Me too!" he said. I gave a small smile. "Are you any good?" he asked. I shrugged. "I don't know. I've never compared myself to anyone else before," I said. He grinned.

    "You know, there's this talent show thing I kind of want to enter. The winner gets five thousand dollars. Want to enter it together? That is... if you're good," he said excitedly. I gave him a weird look, but nodded. "Great! Maybe we can get together after school today or tomorrow and you can show me what you can do," he said. I shrugged. "Sure," I said. I'm willing to do anything to get me away from my mom for a little while.

Hope you guys like it :) Chapters will start getting longer soon, I promise.