Chapter 8

The competition was today. Lukas and I had continued to practice more and more each day. One day we went overtime, and I almost didn't get home on time. My seizures had also started to grow more and more frequent, and I'd had a couple happen during classes. But I did my best to ignore it.

    All that mattered right now was the competition. I stood backstage in the beautiful costume Lukas had picked out. I checked my makeup in the mirror. I'd never performed for an audience before. At least, not formally. I sighed and shook my hands, trying to calm my nerves. I ran through the routine in my mind.

    Before I knew it, it was our turn to go on. I looked across the stage at Lukas as the announcer announced our names. Time seemed to skip until I was in the middle of the stage, facing away from Lukas. Then, the music started.

    I was instantly calmed. It's the same dance we'd done hundreds of times in the studio. Everything is the same. I know this. Most of the dance went smoothly. We had almost finished the dance when I felt a wave of dizziness come over me. It had become all too familiar.

    And then, I was on the ground, looking up at Lukas, who looked at me with a shocked expression. At some point, the music had stopped. Lukas reached out to me, but I slapped his hand away. I stood up and ran off the stage, acting out of fright. I let the tears fall as soon as I was behind the curtain. I hugged myself tightly, trying not to panic. I just had a seizure in front of an audience of over two thousand people.

    I felt another pair of arms wrap around me. I look over my shoulder to see Lukas. "Hey, it's okay. You were amazing," he said in a soft voice. I turned around and cried into his shoulder. I told you. I told you I couldn't do it. I told you I would mess up. You would've been better without me. I screwed this whole thing up," I cried into his shoulder.

    He hugged me tighter as Aiden, Maya and Gill came running over to us. "We saw what happened. Is she okay?" Aiden asked. Lukas nodded. "Yeah. She didn't get hurt or anything," he said. Aiden nodded and said nothing as I cried into Lukas' shoulder. "It's all my fault," I said. Lukas sighed and rubbed comforting circles on my back with his thumbs.

    "Jesse, there is no way this is your fault. You had no way of knowing that would happen," he said. I shook my head. "I should have never done this," I said. Lukas pushed me away and put his hands on my shoulders, holding me an arm's length away from him. "Jesse, listen to me. This is not your fault. But even if it was, it's okay, because you were amazing and I couldn't be more proud of you," he said. He tried to hug me but I pushed him away.

    "I don't deserve to be here," I said. Before anyone could object, I turned around and ran out of the building.

Hope you guys like it :D