Chapter 9

I rested my head lazily on my hand as the E.L.A. teacher droned on and on about our next assignment. Writing about someone we admire. I already knew I would be doing my dad. The teacher eventually finished explaining the assignment and started to pass out the rubrics. I already knew we'd be required to read them to the class, which was something I was not looking forward to.

    I opened my laptop and started to work on my essay, only to be interrupted by someone tapping me on the shoulder. I turned around and was not surprised to see Lukas leaning over his desk to make it easier to talk to me.

    "Jesse, about saturday-" he started before I cut him off. "I don't want to talk about it. Can we please just drop it?" I asked. "No, Jesse, I need to tell you-" I didn't let him finish. "Lukas, for the last time, I don't want to talk about it. I already feel bad enough," I said, turning back around. "We won," he said. I went tense and turned back around. "What?" I asked.

    He gave me a small smile. "You didn't stay to hear them announce the winners. Jesse, we got first place. We won," he said. I stared at him blankly, wondering if this was a joke. "But I-" I started before he cut me off. "You did an amazing job. And the judges can vouch for that," he said, smiling at me.

    I smiled back at him. He reached under his desk and pulled something out of his backpack. I immediately recognized the still unused pair of rose gold pointe shoes. "And uh... I believe these are yours," he said, holding them out to me. I hesitated a moment before taking them. "They asked us to perform at Endercon in a few weeks. That's a huge deal! Thousands of people are going to be there. Do you want to keep this up?" he asked. I hesitated before making up my mind.

    "Absolutely."

Hope you guys like it :D