XXIII: your fault

At 8:35pm, eighteen year-old Alaska Dwyer was rushed to emergency after 9-1-1 was called by her presumed boyfriend. Paramedics noted that her airways were completely blocked, and she had experienced some head trauma after fainting. This severe allergic reaction is concluded as Anaphylaxis. Doctors are shocked that she has not fallen into a coma. The mix of shock, lack of oxygen, and the minor brain bleed she experienced made it very probable; especially since it took her boyfriend, Derrick Welsh approximately one hour to notify 9-1-1. Any longer of a wait, and Alaska Dwyer would have fallen into a coma without any assurance her body would recover from the injuries.

--

The hospital was frantic. It seems like this evening, everyone was having bad luck.

The ER was filled with people with different problems that varied from moderate to severe. I unfortunately, had a pretty severe problem.

Derrick held my hand and stayed by my side until the doctors forced him to leave. Slowly but surely, he let go of my hand. He told me he would wait as long as he needed to before leaving.

The doctors poked, prodded, and gave me a dose of Epinephrine to stop the anaphylaxis- at least that's what I heard before the last bit of consciousness left my body.

After an unknown length of time had passed, my eyes began to open.

My vision was awfully blurred and my head was pulsating so badly I could feel it all the way down my spine. As my consciousness regained completely, I sat up straighter and cleared my throat.

Derrick's head shot up as soon as he knew I was awake. His hair was frizzy and all over the place- his eyes were red as well.

"Alaska-" He began to say, but before any other words could come out, a group of doctors fled my hospital room. They began to connect machines and tubes to my bed and to my body. They searched through charts and yelled codes that had no significance to me. The brief calm I felt was replaced with the frantic that was here when I was first rushed to the Hospital.

I winced in pain as they held my head forcefully and stuck a flashlight directly in front of my pupils. My head hurt so bad.

There seemed to be a lot going on. Whether it was good or bad was beyond me, as nobody was giving me an explanation.

I opened my mouth to try and speak- but when I did, I coughed instead which triggered a pulsating feeling in my head.

"Darling, don't try to speak. It'll just hurt you. We have to wait for the swelling in your airways to settle down." A young nurse said empathetically. I nodded in fear as they continued to poke and prod.

"Close the door, and escort the young man outside please?" The older doctor said, directing those following her instructions.

"Can I please, please stay?" Derrick asked amongst the chaos.

"Love, you can't. You need to-" The doctor began to say to Derrick as she escorted him out. She was interrupted by a certain someone barging into the room along with another doctor behind him. Harry. It was Harry.

"What did you do to her?!" Harry screamed as he pushed through the herd of doctors, interns, and nurses. My heart was racing at the commotion. I had no idea what to feel right now, and the confusion was doing me no justice. It just made the physical pain worse. So much so, I had to tune Harry out so I could calm myself down.

"Sir. You can't be in here right now. Anyone who is not authorized should not be in this room." The older, more experienced Doctor shouted as she flipped through some papers on a clipboard. "You aren't even on the visitors list for this patient. You need to leave this hospital right now unless you have a medical emergency. Interns; get him out of here please!" She raised her voice louder.