Ch.53: Nothing will be the same after this

Chapter 53:

3rd person POV:

It's nighttime. Sherlock is currently walking through the Sea Life London Aquarium housed inside County Hall. He makes his way along the blue-lit corridors and through the glass tunnels under the water.

'Ladies and gentlemen, the Aquarium will be closing in five minutes. Please make your way to the exit. Thank you.' An announcement is heard on the speakers.

Sherlock continues onwards until he reaches an enclosed area with benches where people can sit and look at the various tanks all around. An elderly woman is sitting on one of the benches with her back to him.

"Your office said I'd find you here," Sherlock says.

The woman continues to look forward at the sea creatures. "This was always my favorite spot for agents to meet. We're like them: ghostly, living in the shadows." She turns to look at him.

"Predatory."

"Well, it depends which side you're on." She turns away to look into the shark tank again. "Also, we have to keep moving or we die."

"Nice location for the final act," Sherlock compliments. "Couldn't have chosen it better myself. But then I never could resist a touch of the dramatic."

"That is for sure," another voice answers. Mary then walks into the room and stops at Sherlock's side a couple of feet away from him.

"Hello, Mary," he says without turning to look at her.

"Hey."

"John?"

"On his way," Mary answers.

Sherlock nods. "Then let me introduce, Ammo."

Mary stares at the elderly woman in shock,"You were Ammo?"

"Using AGRA as her private assassination unit," Sherlock adds.

Mary narrows her eyes at the woman,"Why did you betray us?"

"Why does anyone do anything?" the woman questions.

"Oh, let me guess. Selling secrets?" Sherlock guesses.

"Well, it would be churlish to refuse. Worked very well for a few years. But the ambassador in Tbilisi found out. I thought I'd had it." She looks towards Mary before returning her gaze to Sherlock. "Then she was taken hostage in that coup." She laughs,"I couldn't believe my luck! That bought me a little time."

"But then you found out your boss had sent AGRA in."

"Very handy," she says,"They were always such reliable killers."

Sherlock narrows his eyes and addresses his friend "What you didn't know, Mary, was that this one also tipped off the hostage-takers."

Mary clenches her hands into fists.

"Lady Smallwood gave the order, but I sent another one to the terrorists with a nice little clue about her code name should anyone have an enquiring mind. Seemed to do the trick." She sighs,"The hostages were killed, AGRA too ..." She looks across to Mary," ...Or so I thought. My secret was safe. But apparently not. Just a little peace. That's all you wanted too, wasn't it? A family, home. Really, I understand."

Mary glances across to Sherlock but his gaze is fixed on the elderly woman.

"So just let me get out of here, right?" she tells them calmly,"Let me just walk away. I'll vanish. I'll go forever. What d'you say?"

"After what you did?!" Mary growls. She starts towards the older woman.

"Mary, no!" Sherlock warns.