Chapter Eighteen

Please Vote and Comment.

Reece's POV.

I can't tell you how exactly it happened but
here I was drenched and shivering at my best friend's door at four in the morning, crying.

At her insistence I took a hot shower and they near swaddled me in clothing and blankets in Gwen's guest room. They stood whispering at the door but they might as well have not been there as I could barely hear what they were saying.

I couldn't get what Alec said out of my head.

Was I really using Gwen as replacement channel for the love I have for my sister who couldn't care less what happened to me?

If I was being honest with myself, I do love my sister, I've been loyal to a fault but my love had never been requited unless she needed me for something.

She was decent enough when I went to look at her finances, indulging me in the latest gossip, doing my nails, giving her usual condescending lecture on my wardrobe and on my being a Plain Jane.

The most I did with myself was getting my hair and nails done. I never bothered with makeup or in my appearance really. If I was decent for work, I was good to go.

Now I can't help but realise she never really bothered to know me. I was never good enough for her and it seems I had noticed all that before. For it turns out I've supposedly transferred my love for my sister to Gwen.

Taking care of her since college, allowing myself to pretend she was........ No.

Gwen and Riley were two very different people. There's no way I could replace one with the other.

Alec was wrong!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Good morning." I said to a groggy Gwen and Vincent as they walked into the kitchen and gaped at the island that was overflowing with breakfast treats.

"What's going on with you?" Vin grumbled.

"Nothing. Sit. Sit. Feel free to fill your plate."

"Aren't you gonna tell us what happened yesterday?" Gwen asked.

"Coffee?"

"Reece?" Vin pushed.

"There's nothing to tell, okay?" With my palms flat on the island and my head bent leaving no room for argument.

"At least not yet." I finished as I grabbed two mugs and filled them with coffee. I was met with an understanding silence but the look on their faces disheartened me. I didn't need them feeling sorry for me.

"I was thinking we'd spend the day together and celebrate Gwen's return but I think I'll head to the office."

"Reece." Gwen implored as I grabbed my things and headed for the door.

Vin me stopped hallway there and I forced myself to face them. "I don't need you to feel sorry for me and before you deny it, it's written all over your faces."

Vin's hand slacked, pulling away, I walked out.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

*Two months later.*

Vincent and I walked around the ballroom with matching grey masks. It was a masquerade event where all business owners worth their salt attended as a way of meeting new partners, investors and associates.

Everything was anonymous. No introductions or company names were to be exchanged. Only greetings, business ideas and phone numbers. It was a way to avoid playing favorites and allowing business to flow gracefully.

Vincent was attending in place of their family business and I, mine thus he couldn't have been a better choice for a date yet once I stepped foot in his proximity I know who he was.

He was in a midnight blue mask that matched that of his date's mask and dress. I couldn't see much of her except for her exquisite body that was encased in my favorite color.

He too seemed to notice me, for as we walked by his group, he tensed up causing his date to turn away from the young lady she'd struck up a conversation with. I let Vincent pull me away before he turned to me, concerned.

"Are you okay?" Vin asked.

"Yeah. Alec is here."

"How'd you know?"

"Uuh..... He said he'd be here."

"So you guys talk?"

"No! Uuh... "

"You're so tuned to him you could tell his here." Vin said with an amused smile.

"Any idea where the restrooms are?" I asked needing a quick escape.

We asked a waitress who lead me to them, down a secluded hallway and left after making sure I'd be alright finding my way back.

I walked in and settled my palms on the counter by the sinks before staring at my reflection. I took in a few deep breaths as my mind flashed back to our night together. Before the fight.

I had to admit I missed him. Especially when he had free reign of my thoughts. I took one last breath before walking back out.

I didn't go far as I was pulled into a one of the rooms in the hallway. I soon had my back against the wall with a warm body on mine as familiar lips crashed onto mine.

At first I was stunned but soon the pull he had on me won me over and I was kissing him back just as fervently.

My hands in his hair, I had missed the feel of it between my fingers. His hands drifted down and my body arched in response. A battle of the heart and mind ensued. But one was winning.

His hand found the slit in my dress and he caressed my bare thigh. I tugged at his hair to get him to stop but his sensual growl weakened my resolve. But only for so long.

I tugged his hair harder and he finally pulled away but leaned his forehead on mine. Our breaths were ragged as they fanned across each others faces.

He kissed me once more then pulled away and when my eyes finally fluttered open again, I found him watching me. Gauging my reaction. Gauging his effect on me. The image of his date popped into my mind and I pushed him away and took off running.

"Reece!" He implored and I chanced a glance behind me.

I didn't miss his tousled hair, the mask in hand and the look in his eyes.

"Alec?" A sweet voice ahead of me called.

I hurried past the beauty in blue and back into the ballroom where I fell promptly into Vincent's arms.

===================================
Hey there? I'm so sorry this update has taken so long. I had a terrible case of writer's block, I'm hoping this is the beginning of many more to come. Thank you for your patience. I hope you enjoyed it. Lemme know what you think.
I'd also love to know what you think will happen to Riley (the evil twin).
Love you!! Till next time.