Chapter Twenty-Four

Please Vote and Comment.

"Dinah, Charles? We're here!" I called from the door as Alec trailed Olive and I.

"Oh dear! You're early."

"Nana!" Olive called and stretched out her arms.

"Hey there sweetie." Dinah leaned down and hugged her.

"I hope that's okay. Olive here couldn't wait to see her Nana and grandpa." Alec explained.

"Oh.... It's definitely okay. Reece can help me in the kitchen. Lunch is almost ready."

"I'll be right there. Where's Charles?"

"In his office. Why don't you go ahead, I'll get someone to grab your bags."

"Thank you. Come on Olive, let's go find grandpa."

We made our way through the house, knocking at the door before walking into the office.

"I thought I heard my little angel's voice."

"Papa!" Olive went running towards Charles.

He picked her up and walked back up to us.
"Hi dear?" He asked hugging me before moving to Alec.

"Do you gentlemen mind watching Olive? Dinah needs me in the kitchen."

"Not at all. I need time with my son too." Charles replied with a grin.

Reece grinned back before leaving them. The kitchen smelled great as they set the table and called in the men for lunch.

The table was filled with laughter and appetite. I couldn't help but wish my parents and sister were here too. Charles and Dinah had been the closest thing to parents Riley and I had after we lost ours.

They'd met Alec and Olive some time ago and we'd promised to stop by when we came for Riley's memorial. One year was already gone but I couldn't be happier.

                              ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Alec had insisted on a walk around the garden in the backyard earlier and I realized why when we came back.

The scene before me took my breath away. There was a candlelight dinner with a full setting for two.

"Alec!" I whispered. "What's all this?"

"If you'll have a seat, my dear." He said pulling out a chair for me.

"I knew you were up to something!"

"You know me so well my love." He said placing a kiss on my cheek before taking his seat.

"Would the lovely couple care for some wine?" A voice said from beside us.

"Shem?" I've never seen Shem so proper in my life.

"Yes my lady. I'll be waiting on you tonight."

"You went all out, didn't you?" I asked Alec who simply shrugged.

"Where's Fran?"

"She's upstairs with Olive. You can relax honey."

"Okay." I said letting out a breathe. "I think I'll pass on the wine Shem. Some juice will do. Thank you."

Alec eyed me curiously but didn't say a thing. I was grateful for that. He'd find out soon enough.

"I'll have a glass of red wine, Shem. Thank you."

Shem took care of our drinks and soon the food arrived. It was delicious. I had seconds. Then came dessert, I was a goner.

"Alec thank you, dinner was lovely and so was the company." I said once our laughter subsided.