Chapter Twenty-One

Please Vote and Comment.

By the time, the girls got here Alec was already by my side. I'm guessing it's Fran's doing.

He wouldn't leave my side and I was grateful for that. I felt like a piece of me was missing and when you think about it, there indeed was. Though Riley and I hardly got along, she was still my twin. I had been with her since before we were born. And now she's gone.

If it wasn't for Alec, I bet Fran would be overwhelmed with what to do with me. I was a mess.

Alec took care of me, held me. He was all I ever needed at the time.

I sat on the edge of the bed as he brushed my hair after helping me with my bath. Fran had walked in and I could hear them talk but I couldn't for the life of me tell you what they said.

Fran then appeared before me kissed my forehead then disappeared from before me.

Not long after, I found out why she was here. Alec got me to take a few bites of the food then heaped praises on me for eating even though he was the one to polish off the rest of the plate.

We brushed our teeth and he left to get the bed ready as I simply stared at my reflection. Our reflection. When my eyes began to water I finally pulled away. I got into bed and Alec tucked me into him as I broke down again.

                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The day of the funeral was as gloomy as I felt. All were in black and all went well. The girls had outdone themselves.

Word had gotten out that Riley was gone and I was worried we would have to mourn her loss with the media in all our faces. Thanks to girls, they'd gotten a way to keep them away.

Riley was to be laid down beside our parents on my mom's side. That's how we'd planned it all our lives. But knowing how much she'd longed for my father's attention she would lay forever by his side.

Alec never left my side. Just as he'd stood beside me when I received condolences during Riley's memorial, here he was with me by the grave side. After people left, I fell to my knees by the fresh mound of soil atop my sister's body. Alec fell on his knees beside me and held me as I said my final goodbye.

                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Alec had insisted on going out for a walk in the garden and he headed to the kitchen to relieve Fran of the duty of bringing us lunch.

I was walking towards my room when I saw the door next to Fran's open. It was once our nursery, Riley and  I. I walked in and towards the cot. There lay my sister's little angel. I had gotten so caught up mourning my loss I forgot this sleeping beauty had lost her mom.

"She's beautiful, isn't she?" Alec's voice asked from beside me.

"Yes." I said as I turned to look up at him. That's when I saw it. He had dark bags under his eyes and looked exhausted.

I can't believe I hadn't noticed before. Acting on impulse, I rose on my tip toes and kissed him.

When we pulled away his eyes had brightened up despite the bags under them. "What was that for?" He grinned.

I bit my lip, wondering what to say when a small cry called for our attention.

I leaned over into the cot and took her in my arms. "Hey beautiful. Did you sleep well?"

I looked up to see Alec staring at me as I bounced her in my arm. He finally looked down at her and cooed before asking.

"Did Riley name her?"

I thought back to one of our visits to see the new born when I asked what name she'd want for her baby. She didn't want to name her and I gave her a weird look when she said that.

"I want you to name her."

She had said it so softly, so shyly as if I'd refuse her. I was honored but I didn't have a name in mind. Riley simply smiled and told me to let her know when I got a name for her. I never got one in time to tell her before she.......

"Reece?"

I blinked as Alec came back into view.

"You okay?"

"She didn't." I said and he stayed silent waiting for me to continue. "She didn't want to. She wanted me to name her."

"Have you thought of a name?" Alec asked as he led me to a rocking chair where a feeding bottle was sitted on the table beside it.

After settling down, he handed me the bottle and before long, the little angel was suckling contently.

"Honestly?" I said as Alec pulled on the chair nearby and settled beside me. "I've been so caught up in myself, I forgot about her. I forgot about you."

"You were mourning."

"But I promised I'd take care of her."

"And she was taken care of."

There was silence as we watched her sucking on the bottle.

"Don't beat yourself up too much. You've still got many more years of this little girl's life to care for her." He said when our gazes locked on each other.

                                ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

*Four Months later*

"Oh darling you look gorgeous!" Fran cheered as she walked into room. I smiled at her through the mirror and she smiled back. "You'd better hurry. Alec is already downstairs waiting."

"He's here?" I gasped. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"He's with our little angel."

"Oh okay. I'm done. I guess I should go down to him now."

Before I could head to the door Fran took my hands in hers then looked me right into my eyes.

"Child, I've known you all your life. I've watched you take care of your sister since you were old enough to. Now she's gone and you have another responsibility to her daughter. I've seen how that man looks at you. You too need to be taken care of. Do right by that young man."

I was close to tears when she was done
I simply nodded and she embraced me.

"Now go!" She ordered as she fanned at her eyes which were now dewy. I took off looking for him and found him holding our bubbling little angel, cooing softly at her.

At that moment I fell utterly in love with this man.

===================================
I hope you enjoyed. Till next time!!