Chapter 17- Goodnight, Love

Chapter Song: Asleep ~ The Smiths
***
After Hershel had woken up, Rick decided that him, Carol, Daryl, T-Dog, Glenn and Maggie would help clear out more of the prison the next day while the rest of us would stay inside with Hershel. On the other hand, Carl and I were actually forced to organize the food (unlike we did yesterday) and were also put to work to cleanup our cell block (Daryl's lame idea of punishment from going to the infirmary) to keep ourselves useful. We found a janitors closet and found brooms, trash bags, and other stuff to swap up the papers, dust, and whatever other crap was laying around. We found an old air freshener too, it didn't do wonders but it was better than nothing. We also wiped down the tables in the dining section of the block. After that, Carl and I sat down on the steps to take a break. We got stuff to clean our guns and after a few minutes, Beth and Lori walked in with a pair of crutches. Beth smiled at us and we followed them to Hershel's cell and watched from the door way.

Hershel grabbed the bunk above him and sat up slowly. "Just take your time." Lori told him. "Daddy don't push yourself." Beth warned him as he continued to get up. He chuckled a bit and said "What else am I gonna do?" This made Carl and I look at each other and laugh. "I can't stand looking at the bottom of that bunk anymore." Hershel said as he took the crutches and tried to steady himself. He was a bit on the wobbly side and Carl and I went over to help stabilize him. Hershel tried a few steps and said "You know, I think I'm pretty steady." "That's a start. Wanna take a rest?" Lori asked him. "Rest? Let's go for a little stroll." Hershel insisted and smiled. "How about outside? You could use some fresh air." I suggested. "She's right, lets go see the sunlight." He said. Carl and I led the way out and held open doors to the rec area outside. Hershel had to go down a few steps but that didn't stop him. He was one determined man.

Once we were on flat ground, Hershel asked "You cleared all those bodies out? It's starting to look like a place we could really live in." "Hey you watch your step." Lori warned him. I saw Glenn, Rick, and Daryl make their way back in through the first set of fences with firewood. I waved happily at them as Glenn dropped the wood and yelled "All right Hershel!" Me and Carl laughed as we all looked at Hershel in delight. "You're doing great daddy." Beth said to him as we continued to walk slowly. Carl nudged me and I knew that meant to watch what he was about to do. "Ready to race, Hershel?" He asked him, and I covered my mouth as I giggled. "Give me another day, I'll take you on." Hershel responded and I smiled at their antics.

There was a short pause and within seconds, an amazing day came to a halt. Carl turned around and yelled "Walkers! Look out!" And pulled out his gun. I looked behind us and there were dozens, about 25 feet from us. They were everywhere. Lori and I joined in on the shooting with Carl as Beth and Hershel went to the enclosed doorway. "Lori here!" Me, Lori, and Carl saw Maggie at another doorway and we ran to it as fast as we could. We walked through the cafeteria area of our block to get into our cells, but that was impossible. Heading from our block towards us was another herd of walkers. Maggie turned around immediately and we raced into a room that led to another hallway and I shut the door behind us. We zig zagged through hallways. It went Carl and I first, then Maggie and Lori, who was starting to slow down a bit. As we turned a corner, Lori leaned against a wall and seemed to grunt in pain. "Can you keep up?" Maggie asked her. "Something's not right." Lori said immediately. "Are you bit?" Carl asked anxiously. "No no no, but I think the baby's coming." She said. Carl and I worriedly looked at each other. Now? Now the baby has to come? In the middle of this situation? A thousand different thoughts now started swirling inside my head. But I had to hold it together for Carl, for Lori. 

Then we heard walkers coming from the other end of the hallway. "There's no time! Turn back!" Maggie said as Carl and I had our guns raised towards them. We ran in the opposite direction. "In here!" Carl exclaimed and opened a door, letting us in and then closing it. I realized we were in the boiler room. We walked down a few steps into a more open space. Lori grabbed a few chains hanging from the ceiling and gasped in pain. Carl and I were right next to them incase they needed us. "What are those alarms?" Lori asked. Then I just started to hear it. I guess with all the adrenaline and trying to get away I didn't pay attention. "I don't know." I said.