5. Worthless

¤ Third Person ¤

Ji-Na was never one to show her woes. With her face blank of emotions, she looked down at her father. She felt a sharp pain in her chest but chose to disregard it. "Why?" she asked, voice low. She glanced at Yona from the corner of her eyes and she instantly knew, her sister wanted to know as well. She tore her gaze from her two family members to the man she loved... the man she still loved.

He didn't seem regretful and that frustrated her. How could he stand there... with such an uncaring look on his face? Soo-Won's explanation didn't reach Ji-Na for she had come to a simple realization... everything he said, everything that man said... it finally made sense to her. And he was right, the era was changing. It was changing in a way her father would never approve of. The next words that left his lips made her eyes widen. "Why did you come, Yona-hime?" She tore her gaze from Soo-Won to Yona, the pained look on her face made Ji-Na's heart constrict.

"I wanted... to tell him..." tears streamed down her pale cheeks as she spoke. "That I'd... never be able to... give up on you... I wanted.. to tell Chichue..." Ji-Na spun to Soo-Won, all her energy dispersing when she saw the hesitation in his eyes. Then the question dawned on her. Why did she come? What did she come to do? She had had a bad feeling but...

The words that left her lips, she knew she wasn't lying. "I came..." her eyes softened, pain flickering within them as she stared into his own. "To tell him... I'd become queen..."

His eyes widened as she continued, a grim smile pulling onto her lips as tears rose in her hazel eyes. Her hands gripped her dress as she choked out, "I was going to..." she tore her gaze from him, turning to look at her father's body, grief overtaking her body. "Tell Chichue... that if I were queen... you and Yona-nee could wed..." her voice cracked as she pulled her hands away from her dress, leaving it wrinkled. She reached out and gripped her father's hand. It reminded her of her mother's hand... it was still warm yet... it made a chill race down her spine.

She hadn't seen it, the evident remorse on his face...

The door opened, startling all three descendants of royalty. Ji-Na's snapped her head to the door, eyes widening as she made out his figure. He was the same man that told her to stay by Soo-Won's side. She spun back to Soo-Won, eyes pleading. "Soo-Won—"

"Soo-Won-sama." the voice wasn't loud but there was a clear threat in his voice... it was directed at Ji-Na. And she knew it.

"Kye-Sook." she couldn't stand it, his voice void of emotions...

She reached out and grabbed her sister's hand and the pendant her father always wore around his neck. It was a gift from the previous king, Junam and she wouldn't let anyone else possess it. "The preparations are complete." He walked by Yona as he spoke, making Ji-Na grip her sister's hand tighter. "You've achieved your long cherished dream." After a moment of silence, he asked, "Those girls... are Yona-hime and Ji-Na-hime. Did they see what you did?"

There was no response and Ji-Na turned, staring at Soo-Won, the feeling of betrayal racing through her veins. But her face was clear, she stared blankly at him, listening as the one named Kye-Sook continued, "That makes things simpler. There is only one thing to be done; kill them, Soo-Won-sama. Silence them."

"Soo... Won?" Yona's voice was high, fear evident on her face and voice.

Ji-Na spun to Kye-Sook as he said, "Even if they were alive, they'd only suffer." He didn't understand and she realized... no one did... She was already suffering but she stayed alive for all those years... not to die without accomplishing anything.

She saw Soo-Won raise his bloody sword out of the corner of her eye and she stood up, turning to run out of the room with Yona in tow. Yona's legs, however, were trembling and she stumbled into the soldiers. "Yona-nee!" she cried out as Yona crashed into the lantern, hand slipping out of her own. She pulled on the pendent, then thin strand that held it around his neck snapped as she reached out and grabbed her sister's hand. She heard the beads slip from the thread and hit the floor as she pulled her sister out the door. Running as fast as she could, she dragged Yona along. 'Soo-Won, why?! You love Yona-nee don't you?! I know you do! So why...? WHY?!'