9. The Wind and the Princess

¤ Third Person ¤

For the majority of the day, she followed Tae-Yeon around like a lost duckling. Listening to his words of advice, speaking to him as if they were equals. No one missed her smile as she passed by them with her dress stained and hair pulled back into the simply hairstyle Ayame always did for her. Always doing something, always working and obeying the requests the people had asked of her without question.

In the capital of uncaring people, she seemed to be the only one that had been shackled to the floor. And there was someone who noticed it right away.

"I was wondering, Hye-Rin-san. What is Hiryuu Castle like?" Ji-Na's hands faltered from the uprooting of the crops as she inhaled deeply, her heart beating in her chest rapidly in anguish at the question. But after another breath, she turned, her dress and hands coated in dirt, to stare at the messy little boy. Trembling, her fingers dug into the plant as she smiled lightly, her eyes closing as her lips pulled up.

"It's beautiful. The gardens and the pond... it was all very lovely. But for someone like me, it wasn't..." She stopped and laughed, opening her eyes slowly. "It wasn't where I was meant to be. That's why I'm here, to learn and one day return..." Her voice faltered, her body stiffening as her own words finally registered in her mind.

Return. Return to the castle. Return to where Soo-Won killed her father. Return to where she could be the target to the world. Return to a place where she could never be loved. Return... she had to return to such a place.

As the girl went pale, her fingers dug through the leaves into her own palms, Tae-Yeon reached out and gently held her arm. The crimson liquid dripping onto her dress from her hands but still, she didn't move from her spot. Her eyes glazed over, her face dull, even as the little boy cried out to her urgently.

"Ji-Na-hime." Her eyes widened as she dropped the food to the floor, looking up at the male she saw sleeping at the gate when she first arrived. "What kind of person is she?"

She smiled. "I wonder."

His eyes narrowed before he crouched down, taking her hands into his. "Let's go take a look at this. We don't want it to be infected." Before she could refute him, he smiled at her, "You worked when you were at the castle, but you're not a lady-in-waiting here. You should let yourself be pampered."

Her eyes widening with surprise as her lips quivered and her mouth struggled to form words. "Pampered...? That, I can't—"

"It's the way of the Wind Tribe. If we pamper you, you'll give us more money." He smiled at her, his eyes twinkling at the surprise on her face, her rigid body loosening slightly. "But even if you don't have money, if I'm going to save someone, it isn't my way to half-ass it."

She allowed him to help her to her feet, Tae-Yeon grabbing her basket of crops before trailing after them happily. "My name is Hye-Rin..." She offered him her smile as he led her through the town without any hints of regret or hate. His hand warm and gentle against her wrist as he pulled her along lightly, as if he was being careful not to hurt her.

Laughing lightly, he responded with a relieving easiness to it as he turned his head and looked back at her, his own face reflecting her smile. For the rest of the walk, he kept his gaze forward and his head held high, though he still listened to the two who followed him without hesitation or fear.

»»-------------¤-------------««

Ji-Na raced towards the river, her long hair slapping her face as she stumbled around the corner of a house, her head hitting a male's as she tripped on the ends of her skirt. Pulling back instantly, her eyes widening at his narrowed gaze when he turned to look at her. His distaste clear on his face as he looked her down, clicking his tongue in annoyance. But she knew being loved was too good to be true. "I'm sorry—"