10. Family

¤ Third Person ¤

Her fingers rubbed against her wrist, just grazing her own skin as she stared at the back of the man who seemed completely tense. As he led her to the stables, "Hye-Rin-san... Is it really alright for you to come with me? Hak-sama—" She tightened her grip on her own wrist, curling her index finger and thumb to create a ring around her wrist.

"Hak let me go." That simple statement was what Ji-Na herself needed to hear. Outlining the indent Hak had created on her skin, she didn't mind the worried look he gave out of the corner of his eyes.

The silence that stretched after, she couldn't determine if it was tense or not. But neither of them tried to break it. They walked, briskly, quickly, hurrying to the stables. He let one of the horses out, hurrying to grab a saddle and pull it onto his horse, forgetting that the girl beside him wasn't a Wind Tribe resident. Tightening all the straps, he took the horse by its reins before turning to face the girl he presumed would be having many difficulties. However, he was simply graced with seeing the girl, her sleeves were rolled up, gripping each end of the saddle. With her foot on a stirrup, she tightened her grip and with a strong pull, lifted her other foot to the same height before pulling herself completely on.

"Hye-Rin-san... you know how to saddle a horse...?" the awe in his voice didn't go unnoticed but she only chuckled awkwardly, her smile strained as she took the reins into her hands.

It was something she had picked up from Hak when she was posing as a servant. But the background of that would expose her current position and she couldn't bring herself to say it. "I... was taught a long time ago." She pulled at the reins and with a slight pressure against the horse, willed the stallion to a walk. "We should get going, Han-Dae-san."

He nodded and pulled himself onto the horse, more graceful than she with ease that made her bite down on her lip, her eyes narrowing as her knuckles went white. "We are going to the northeast trail. It's a shortcut to the doctor but it gets steeper—"

Ji-Na pressed her legs against the large horse of tan hair and the horse instantly responded to her order, trotting ahead of the male. Her eyes remained trained ahead of her as she heard the rhythmatic thumping of hooves against floor. Han-Dae pulled ahead of her and led her to a gate around the back of Fuuga, where they were greeted with a downhill stretch instead of a flight of stone stairs. As they descended the hill, the trot quickly turned to a strong paced canter, both riders in silence as they matched each other in speed.

The air whipped her face, thrill racing up her spine, her fingers tingling as she rode faster than she ever did as a princess. Her eyes narrowing as she noticed the streak of black pulling ahead of her, leading her down a wide path coated in rocks and debris. Without question, she trailed after the male, following closely behind him and mimicking his actions.

The sun already setting and the sky painted crimson and orange, all the two did was speed up ever so slightly, rushing through the forest as quickly as they could. They didn't have the leisure of walking and chatting along the path, not with the young boy's life in their hands. So, no matter what title he possessed as the fastest rider in Fuuga, she would ride at the same pace. Even if it meant her hair would slap her in the face constantly, whipping back and forth as they pulled the frequent curves along the path.

"Hye-Rin-san. Be careful. There are many turns here." She didn't respond, simply following him as he began up a side of a hill, narrower than the path they had been following. Just enough for one horse at a time, trees pressing closely towards each side of her stallion.

The sun had already fallen from the sky and they rode through the moonlight barely shining through the trees. Her legs grew sore, her fingers tense from gripping the reins and as the horse trot upward, she could feel her lower body ache. "Han-Dae-san... are we going to slow? How much further is the doctor?"