15. Towards a Dragon

¤ Third Person ¤

Ji-Na slipped into the water, washing her sore body off. Sinking deeper into the water so her hair was submerged, she felt the cold against her skin and her body began to relax. She didn't know what the cold was so soothing but it was, her eyes closing. It was still dark out, usually too cold to be out, but it was nice. "Before dawn, it feels nice to bathe at that time. You should try it some time, Ji-Na-hime—" Her eyes snapped open, her body bolting upright and growing stiff as the familiar voice rang in her head. She cupped her hands and quickly brought the water to her face, splashing herself as she let out a long sigh. "It'd be easier if I could just..." She stopped, falling back so she created a splash in the calm water.

Her head sunk slightly below the surface, her vision becoming hazy through the water but she soon returned to fresh air. She had begged for it so many times but her heart and head never complied. A simple thought that would make all her pain end and she herself was not willing to let go. After a few moments, she took another duck into the water.

Surrounded, it felt safer that way. Calmer and pristine, she liked it that way. Soon, she would leave such a heart-warming place, returning to the world she had barely survived fleeing from. She looked at her hand through the water, tightening it into a fist before she finally left.

Breaking through to the open sky, she finally pulled herself out of the water and dressed herself.

She walked back to the hut, dragging her feet slightly as a million things rushed through her mind. Her hand clenched for a moment before she sighed, glancing up at the sky. 'It's almost time to go...'

She pushed the door open, calling out to her sister, "Yona-nee?" She paused, startled as she watched as Yoon put away something sharp, before glancing at the crimson locks on the floor. She felt something in the pit of her stomach as she smiled, walking towards the girl. "You cut your hair?"

The princess instantly replicated the expression, a slight laugh leaving her lips as she answered, "It was really uneven. Besides, I never liked my red hair that much." It was true, Ji-Na knew her sister didn't like the vibrant and beautiful hair she had: it was the one thing she always complained about.

Before she could respond, Yoon asked, "Would you like to cut your hair, too?" She glanced over, shaking her head slightly. Her voice was soft, "I've already gotten so much from you, Yoon-san, you don't need to deal with my unruly hair."

"Something like that..." He grumbled under his breath, glancing at her as she spun in her new clothes. The light blue vest went well with her orange hair and she seemed to like it enough. "Are you done with my book?"

Her eyes widened slightly before she quickly nodded, rushing to grab it from the floor. "I am, thank you for lending it to me." She spun and smiled at the boy, "It's fascinating. You must treasure it, don't you?"

He stopped and stared at her soft expression, the gentle gaze as she held it out to him, "That dirty old book..."

Ji-Na released the book as he took it into his hands, quickly turning away with his face a slight crimson. "Did Ik-Soo-san give you the book?" She suggested, crouching down as she rested her cheek on her knees.

"That idiot, Ik-Soo," he agreed, and the princess noticed his aura brighten, his face relaxing as he gazed at the book affectionately, "got this out of the trash for me but then tore it when he tripped on nothing."

"Oh dear... Ik-Soo-san is very clumsy." She giggled, hiding her lips behind her hand as she felt her sister plop down beside her.

The moment the words left his lips, he spun towards her and grinned cheekily, "He's an idiot, right? All his talk about 'Kami-sama' is suspicious but I know better than anyone that he's the type of guy that can't lie..." He trailed off, finally seeing the curious eyes of the two females, unease creeping up on him.