13. Goodbye, Farewell

¤ Third Person ¤

Ji-Na hummed as she walked around the house, waiting for Yoon to return with his medicine and Ik-Soo from his prayers. She was originally supposed to join Ik-Soo but when the boy found her sleeping outside, he wasn't happy. So there she was, exploring the one room house with awe. She had seen Yoon place some containers of medicine in a cabinet before leaving, her fingers itching to grab some. "What are you doing?" The voice startled her, making her head turn quickly and her arms shoot back to her side.

Awkwardly smiling at him, she shook her head. "I wasn't trying to steal from you, I just wanted to see the medicine." She answered honestly, watching as he raised an eyebrow at her. "We'll have to leave you and Ik-Soo-san soon. I don't want to continue relying on Hak's expertise."

He was silent for a moment, making her tense up, ready to be kicked out. "I don't get you. It's easier to learn if you read about it. Staring at medicine won't help you."

"Is that... okay?" Her words made him stop, head turning slightly to watch her bangs slip over her eyes. "You don't have to... I don't want to ruin your books..."

"Can you read?"

His question caught her off guard. She instantly bopped her head up and down, the motion making him walk towards a different cabinet. "I can? But, what does that—"

Opening it, he pulled out a loosely bound book, "Here." Her eyes widened as he handed it to her, beckoning her closer to take.

"Can I...? Can I really take—" He glared at her and she flinched, her hand raising up to accept the item. Her fingers trembled as they reached out, ready for her hand to be struck. He shoved the book at her, her hands instantly reaching out quicker and grabbing it before it could hit the floor. "Yoon-san?!"

He lied, turning away to close the cabinet door, "My arm was getting tired." Ji-Na's face softened as she held the book to her chest.

"Thank you, Yoon-san." She glanced down at the worn down cover, running an index finger along the binds. "It's dirtier than the ones at the castle..." Her voice was soft but he caught it instantly. He grit his teeth, spinning to snap at her when he saw the purest form of happiness on her expression.

Yoon didn't speak, watching as her eyes returned to his. "Ohime²¹-sama, you are strange."

She blinked for a moment before her hazel eyes lit up with a single idea, "Ji-Na." His confused gaze made her continue, a small giggle escaping her lips. "I'm not 'Ohime-sama' anymore. You can just call me Ji-Na. That's less strange, right?"

He turned away from her, a motion she was familiar with. Huffing, "I'm going to grind the herbs."

She nodded and bowed her head, "Thank you for letting me ready your book, Yoon-san. I will return it right after I'm done." Turning her head, she quickly rushed back to where her sister and friend were resting. Sitting down, she first checked their foreheads to see if their fevers rose. Changing the damp towels, she smiled herself and began to read.

Her delicate fingers brushed against the pages, rougher than the ones at the palace. Her smile grew at that fact, it simply showed her how much he cherished it. To keep something this worn out, it meant he had reread it countless times and loved it dearly. In the castle, her touch was nothing short a curse. Nobody touched what she read, her scrolls and books would've never gotten as dirty.

He had lent her something extremely precious, she understood it well. She hadn't realized how happy she was until she had reached halfway through and realized she hadn't been reading the words in the pages. 'Oh Hiryuu²², this is not good. I'm so happy, I could cry.'