17. Wishes Long Overdue

¤ Third Person ¤

She felt herself stop, her head turning slightly to gaze at the dark surroundings. She was alone, all alone in a land so empty it felt as if she could wander for years without ever finding anyone. She reached her hand out, swatting at the air in front of her. "Hello? Is anyone here?"

The silence answered her, a tranquil and relaxing air drifting around her but it just made her tense up. Her eyes continued to wander, searching for something to find nothing. She closed her eyes and allowed her body to fall back, hitting the floor. "Do you truly exist, Douryuu, Hiryuu? If you do, then please grant this wish."

What a tired voice, that was her only thought as the same voice swirled through her mind, easing her limbs. It was gentle, gentle even though everything was growing duller. "Douryuu, keep him safe. Forgive me for my sins but please, watch over him in a way I couldn't. Please take care of my son."

Her eyes slowly opened, welcoming her back into the forest. She pushed herself upright slowly, sighing as she rubbed her head with one of her dirty hands. It wasn't bright out yet, in fact the moon was still hanging overhead. But she knew she would never be able to get back to sleep, there were too many things swirling in her mind. So instead, she decided to practice how to fight: Hak had shown her a bit when Yona was eating with Yoon.

He didn't want her to get any ideas and that was alright with Ji-Na. Rising to her feet, she quickly and silently grabbed her bow and her bag of arrows, maneuvering around her companions to find a spot to randomly shoot arrows at. When she finally found a spot, she was cloaked under night and she began shooting in peace.

In the darkness, she felt at ease. She found comfort in the silence that surrounded her, finally allowing her to calmly think about everything. For now, the group was safe. There had been no signs of officers but that meant nothing to her. "There was an order issued out by our new king, Soo-Won-heika." He was working quicker than she thought. It wouldn't be long before they would have to continuously look over their shoulders.

Yet, what was she doing? This entire time, what had she been doing while Soo-Won began to change the kingdom her father cared for so much? The days and nights she spent thinking of him, she did absolutely nothing but run. She was running.

Running, constantly running from everything. She had chosen to run rather than to face the battle right before her eyes. She ran from Soo-Won, she ran from him when she loved him and she ran from him when she was betrayed by him. Every time, it was always that man; she never had the courage to face him. Every time she turned around, she could see his face and hear his voice, it followed her everywhere so she chose to run away from it. To close her eyes, cover her ears, and smile while she rushed past everything. She could always do it because in the end, the only one who would get hurt was her. It would harm only her.

Only Ji-Na.

But, Soo-Won had done the unthinkable. He had mixed Yona into a mess that Ji-Na had spent her entire life trying not to pull her into. The legalities, every law and rule, she studied to keep her sister smiling and happy. The treaties between kingdoms down to the beginning of the kingdom, she had mastered every subject to become Yona's right hand. Just as Hak would be Soo-Won's blade, she would be Yona's pen.

That was what she had worked up until now for, for what? For Soo-Won to rip her sister apart and step upon the broken pieces? Even if Yona could be selfish at times, she loved her sister dearly. So, if anyone dared to prance upon the princess, there was only one thing Ji-Na could do:

Kill.

The arrow rammed into the tree, startling her as her eyes widened. She stared at the crack that had been made and sighed, collapsing onto the floor. "Ji-Na, be careful. Weapons can hurt you, that's why we don't want you near them anymore, okay?" She stared at her hand that still held the bow.