Chapter 3

Alana was desperate for a glass of water. She wasn't used to drinking so much alcohol, those three gin and tonics she just had seemed to have dried her throat out, plus she was shiny with sweat, beads of it running down the nape of her neck, making her hair sticky and gross. She didn't care too much though because everyone around her seemed to be perspiring even more than she was. She stood at the crowded bar, gasping for hydration, leaning forward to try and catch the attention of one of the three extremely harassed looking barmen.

Her head was spinning ever so slightly but in a good way, the kind of way that let her know she was having a great time. She couldn't stop smiling after that little danceathon she just had with Riley to the sound of the last band. They were good, really good and judging from the uproarious reaction of the crowd, 'Silence' were about to go very far. Everyone hung on every word the lead singer said and the music was great: it took you on this whole exhilarating journey along unexpected paths.

She couldn't remember ever seeing a performance quite like it. So electric, the whole place was still buzzing. She felt privileged to have seen Silence before they got really big. She would hear them on the radio some day soon, she just knew it and she'd be able to say that she was at one of their early gigs. It made her feel glad she came out after all.

She leaned over the bar again but not one of the barmen would even so much as look at her. They were too busy sweating profusely whilst pulling bottles from the fridge, pouring beer into pint glasses and taking money from outstretched arms. She turned around briefly, to see if she could see Noah, Riley and Duke but there were way too many people and they were close to the front somewhere, listening to a singer-songwriter girl with an acoustic guitar and straw-blonde hair running down her back.

When Alana turned back to the bar she immediately sensed there was someone new next to her. Curious, she turned to look and saw the same guy who had just been on stage. The lead singer. Her heart leapt and she tried not to stare, then made herself turn forwards again. What did Riley say his name was? Elias Smith. That's right. Elias. He leaned casually against the bar, elbows resting on the wood. Already one of the barmen was handing him a bottle of beer. Before Alana knew what she was doing, she said:

'Couldn't get me a glass of water could you?'

He looked towards her, slowly, his almond-brown eyes alive with motion. Up close he looked even more alluring, like some old time movie star, James Dean maybe. She couldn't help but notice how immaculate his clothes were, despite the energetic performance he just gave. His t-shirt was brilliant white and without a single crease, beneath a dark, fitted jacket. He lifted an eyebrow, then his lips formed a wry smile.

'Sure,' he replied.

His voice was just as delicious as it had been when he sang; lilting, strong and edged with gravel. He got the barman to give him a glass of water then placed it in front of her in one swift motion. She was about to give him a nod of thanks, take the glass and walk away but he turned his whole body towards her and said:

'It's ok, you know. I don't bite.'

She smiled, a little bemused, and took a drink of water.

'Well that's a relief I suppose.'

He idly held his bottle of beer, like he had done the microphone. There was something about the way his fingers moved that held Alana's attention. He took a swig, whilst keeping one eye on her then placed his hand out towards her.

'I'm Elias,' he said. 'Elias Smith.'

They shook hands, his skin cool to the touch.

'I'm Alana Murray.'

'I've never seen you at any gigs before.'

'I don't go to many.'

'What do you do?' he said, hovering the bottle in front of his lips.

'I'm a student. Part time, studying art. A mature student.'

'A mature student, huh? You don't look mature enough to be a mature student. They're the boring ones, taking it seriously, isn't that right?'

'I guess you could say that. I have to take it seriously, I couldn't waste the time doing it otherwise.'

A flicker of curiosity lit up his eyes.

'I studied art too, three years ago. I use the word study in the loosest sense. Had a good time mostly. We're playing at the art college in a few weeks, we're around there quite a bit.'

She nodded.

'Alana!'

It was Riley, somewhere in the crowd. Alana craned her neck above the mass of bobbing heads to see her at the other end of the space, waving, following behind Noah and Duke who were heading towards the door. She placed her glass down on the bar and began to pull away.

'One of them your boyfriend?' said Elias.

'My husband,' she replied.

His eyes widened.

'Really?'

'Yes. Really.'

He smiled, ever so slightly, then took another swig of beer.

'Time to go then.'

With that, Alana said a hasty goodbye and pushed herself back from the bar, disappearing into the crowd as Elias watched her go.