Chapter 41

Alana bent down in front of Snow to help her zip up her favourite jacket - a pink puffy one that she'd had for ages. She liked to wear it even when it wasn't that cold. It sat over her little brown corduroy trousers and pale pink top and matching cardigan. Her golden curls were tied up in bunches at the sides of her head tied with chocolate-coloured ribbons. She held her bright pink lunchbox in her hand.

'Let's go,' said Alana, slipping on her own shoes as she grabbed her jacket.

She flung her bag over her shoulder and unlocked the front door with one hand whilst holding Snow's hand with the other. The two of them bundled out, leaving the house behind empty. Noah had already gone to work.

They set off on the familiar walk to Snow's school. It wasn't far from the house, just a short walk up their street and across the park. Alana kept her eyes wide open, looking for signs of anything she didn't like the look of.

It was a beautiful morning, the flowers all seemed to be in full bloom and the sun shone bright and crisp. Snow looked up at her mother and began to tell her all about her upcoming role as a frog in the latest school play. Snow, it seemed, had been learning a great deal about frogs leaving Alana impressed by her daughter's dedication to the role.

As Snow told her in detail about the daily land and water habits of your average frog Alana led them onto the path that would lead them through the park, past the swings, across the little bridge over the river and along towards the school. It was quiet, strangely quiet. A Monday morning would usually be much busier than this with parents, kids, dogs, nannies and grandmas. Alana picked up the pace, holding Snows hand, still checking all around.

Snow's little feet had to move a bit quicker to keep pace but that didn't stop her from bursting into song. It was a musical play, she explained, the kind where everyone had to sing songs and play instruments. Alana couldn't help but burst into laughter as Snow warbled out a strange but catchy number about a frog that sits on a lily pad all day long.

Just as they reached the bridge Alana was still giggling and Snow was still singing when suddenly Alana stopped moving at once and instinctively grabbed Snow towards her. Right there in front of them, standing lazily against the side of the bridge was Elias.

A wave of panic washed over her. She turned around immediately and began dashing the opposite way, pulling Snow along with her. We have to get away, we have to get away.

'What are we doing, Mummy?' cried Snow.

'I forgot something. We have to go home,' she answered, breathless.

'Mummy, you look scared,' said Snow, beginning to look scared herself.

Alana looked back and saw that he was following them. He wasn't running but somehow he was effortlessly gaining on them. Her heart tried to jump out of her chest. She could hardly think straight, see straight. But he was already there behind them. He reached out a hand which landed on Alana's shoulder.

'You might want to hear what I have to say,' he said, in a tone that made her feel like she had to listen.

She turned to face him, looking down at Snow, grabbing her hand so tight it was turning white.

'We can't talk right now,' she said, her voice stiff and formal.

'Oh but you can talk,' he replied. 'And you will.'

He turned his body slightly away from Snow but to Alana he exposed a glinting, razor-sharp knife, long and lethal. It was only visible for a second but long enough for Alana to know that he intended to use it if she didn't do what he said. She stared at him, wanting to kill him right there and then but knowing that nothing was more important than keeping her daughter out of harms way.

'Listen,' she said, trying with all her might to appear calm. 'Let's talk about this, rationally. I'm sure we can sort it out.'

He grinned.

'We are a little beyond that aren't we, Alana?'

'Mummy, how does that man know your name?' said Snow in a small voice from where she stood under her mum's arm.

Elias smiled and looked down at Snow.

'I'm your mummy's friend. We've never met, have we? I'm Elias.'

Alana pulled Snow back before he could get any closer.

'Now, now,' he said. 'No need to be rude, is there?'

He moved closer to Alana so he could whisper in her ear.

'You come with me or I see how much use I can get from my new knife.'

Alana gritted her teeth and looked around. The whole place was nearly empty. She had no choice. If they tried to run he could easily catch them. If she tried to attack him it was no use - he had a huge knife. She still had the pen knife tucked in her bra but it was too hard to get too and tony compared to what he had. And if anything happened to Alana, what would happen to Snow? He could kill them both right here in broad daylight. He walked in the opposite direction to the school and Alana had no choice but to follow, holding Snow's hand tightly in her own.

If you liked this chapter then please don't forget to vote! Also, your feedback is very welcome too, I always try to answer.