Chapter 24

It was a couple of days after she last saw Elias in her studio when Tatum came to her to say that her request to use the ceiling space in the exhibition had been flat out refused. Her tutor couldn't say exactly why, just that someone 'up high' had denied it. Alana felt disappointed at first but her feelings turned to suspicion when he said that somehow, he thought it had something to do with her turning down the stage project with Silence.

At first she couldn't understand it. How could that have anything to do with anything? But as she asked more questions, it became clear that the band had put in a complaint about her. She knew instantly that it was not 'the band' that had complained. It was Elias. Just the thought of it made her boil with rage. She swallowed it down however, until Tatum was gone, at which point she kicked one of the stools so hard it crashed to the ground.

At that same moment Riley appeared in the studio, hair wafting about her jawline, bangles covering both of her skinny, tanned arms. She stuffed her hands in her trouser pockets and raised her eyebrows.

'Hey girl, what's got you?'

Alana spun around.

'Oh. Hi,' she said. 'I didn't see you there. What's got me? Your favourite lead singer, that's what's got me. He's totally nuts.'

'You mean Elias Smith?' she said, picking up the stool and perching on it.

'Yes. Elias,' hissed Alana. 'I wouldn't do his stage project so he complained about me to the college so badly they've turned down my application for the ceiling space. I'm going to be stuck in some crummy corner now! And that's not to mention I have no clue on earth how to get that guy out of my life. He's not just crazy. He's lunatic crazy. He says he loves me, I'm his guardian angel. God you should hear the stuff he says to me.'

'You were the inspiration for that song?' said Riley, biting her red lips. 'You are the 'Guardian Angel'?'

She wore an expression of astonishment mingled with admiration.

'It's not cool,' said Alana.

'They are up for an award with that song, it's everywhere. And it's about you.'

'I think it is. I mean, that's what he called me after he caught me up in his little suicide saga.'

Riley frowned a little, the long, silk of her shirt hanging over the sides of the stool, black with huge white lilly prints.

'Honestly, I think he's trying to ruin my life,' said Alana.

'Right,' said Riley. 'That's it. He can't keep this up. I'm definitely going to seduce him and then make him fall in love with me so he can write songs about me instead.'

'You can't do that,' groaned Alana. 'We need him as far away from us as possible. You'd be in danger, honestly.'

'You think he's dangerous?'

Alana shrugged.

'I think so.'

Her phone flashed from the table where it lay. Alana ran to it, frantic. An unknown number.

'I bet that's him!'

She let the phone ring and go through to voicemail then as Riley sat patiently, they allowed a message to be left.

'See! Watch this!'

She turned the phone on speaker and played the message out loud so they could both hear.

'Hello, this is a message for Alana Murray. Just to say your appointment for the dentist is now overdue and we would very much appreciate if you could give us a call here at the surgery on 0131 789...'

Alana punched the hang up button with her finger.

'Damn. Ok. That's wasn't him, this time. But if we wait long enough...'

Riley jumped off the stool, an unsure expression on her face, then she reached out to hold onto Alana's shoulder.

'Do you need to take a little rest?' she said. 'I don't know, you've been working so hard lately, then you've got Snow and your enormous husband to feed and look after. Sometimes my mind boggles at how you ever cope. Then this thing with Elias ... Why don't the two of us go out one night? For some girlie fun. Cocktails. High heels. Like the old days, well - like the occasional evenings in the past. Let's forget all this nonsense.'

'I don't know,' said Alana glumly. 'I just want my life back the way it was before.'

Riley stroked her shoulder and caught her friend's gaze in her own.

'I know, I really do. But it has happened now and I think it is my duty to take your mind completely off whatever is going on right now.'