Chapter 20

Everyone left Alana's studio except Elias. Tatum, her tutor, had given her an approving speech about what a good opportunity she was being given, and how rare it was for a first year to be offered a professional project of that size. He was clearly impressed, offering his guidance throughout the coming weeks of preparation.

Alana had hardly spoken. All she wanted to do was outright refuse to work with Silence, under any circumstances. But what would Tatum have thought? What would the other band members have thought? A horrible notion occurred to her: had Elias told them about that night? A shiver ran down her spine.

'So, how have you been, sweetheart?'

He sat on one of the stools that were covered in bits of tape, the same one he had sat on that first day, in exactly the same position - knees apart, feet close together. The girl in the opposite studio was pretending to work on her sculpture but Alana could tell that all her attention was on them. There were others glancing their way too. Get lost! she wanted to cry. And don't call me sweetheart, Elias! But instead, she answered:

'I'm fine.'

She busied herself with some scissors and paper on her desk.

'Did you get my letter?'

Her glance flicked up towards him. He was going to bring that up, now?

'Yes, I got your letter,' she said, her voice low so no one could hear.

'I meant every word.'

'Look,' she replied. 'I appreciate that and... I'm sorry if I led you to believe something more than I ever intended... but I really think it's best if you don't send letters to my house.'

She checked around quickly to see if anyone was trying to listen. Elias stood up from his stool and walked over to her, hands in his pockets.

'There,' he whispered, now right in front of her. 'Is that better? You're right, you know? We need our privacy.'

She could see his face clearly, his smooth skin, his hair, silky and dark. The black circles under his eyes all but gone, leaving his gaze bright and curious again. He seemed to be inspecting her face, so much so it felt like he was drinking her in, like there was no one or nothing else in the room worth looking at. She took in a deep breath and tried to let it out as steadily as she could.

'I think you're right about the letter too,' he said. 'It is much better to see each other. I forgot how intoxicating it is just to have you in front me.'

'Elias,' she snapped, before lowering her voice to a whisper again. 'You can't talk to me like that. I asked you to forget what happened between us and I meant it.'

He raised one eyebrow playfully then leaned in closer.

'You can honestly tell me that you don't ever think of that night? You don't ever wish it would happen again?'

She levelled his gaze.

'No,' she replied. 'I don't. It's over with now. Finished.'

His eyebrow fell back down, then his eyes traced her face, then her neck, chest, right down her arm to her hand, which he touched gently with his own hand.

'What did you do to me, Alana? The more you say no, the more I say yes. I can't control it...'

His voice was full of desire. She pulled her hand away, stepping back, glancing around to see that the girl in the opposite studio was definitely looking at them.

'Elias, I can't see you any more. We need to lead separate lives.'

He smiled.

'You're our set designer, Alana. You tutor looked pleased, he's going to help.'

'No he's not. And neither am I. You're going to have to find someone else.'

'There is no one else. No one like you.'

'There are tons of artists that would kill to do it.'

She gestured around the studios.

'Just in here you could find someone.'

He didn't take his eyes off her.

'You're not getting this, are you Alana? You are the one we need. You're the one I need, and there's nothing either of us can do about it.'

Alana's stomach churned. She wanted to run from there, but that would make the whole thing look even stranger than it already did. She clenched her teeth silently.

'Please, Elias. You have to let me go.'

She felt tears pricking her eyes, but she fought hard not to let it show.

'I have my work to do, I have my family. I'm sorry about that night. More sorry than you can imagine... I never meant to lead you on. I just need you to understand that it's done now, it's in the past and it needs to stay there. Please.'

Elias reached for her hand again.

'I never meant to make you upset, not you, sweet girl. And you never ever need to be sorry about that night. I'd rather have that one night with you than a thousand nights with a thousand different girls. Truly. I know I can be kind of intense. If I feel something... I'm not good at holding back. And the way I feel about you... I mean, it aches, Alana.'

She sighed.

'But if you really want me to back off... I will do. I mean, I will try.'

'You will?' she said, her green eyes wide with surprise.

'Yes,' he said, moving his hand up her arm. 'For you, I will.'