Chapter 10

By midday, Alana was putting the keys through her front door and stepping onto the pile of envelopes that were strewn on the floor. The house was empty, quiet. Noah and Snow would be back tomorrow morning so she would be home alone until then. She felt it was good for her to have a little time before they came home, to get her head together.

As soon as she had put her things away she sat down on the bed in her bedroom and called Noah, but he didn't answer. She showered once again, throwing the clothes she was wearing into the wash basket. Her phone lit up as she passed it by and she saw a text from Noah:

'Why didn't you answer last night? We are surfing now, call you later'

She sighed, lying back on the bed and answered him with,

'Sorry. Had an early night, fell asleep before I had the chance to call you. Speak soon'

A heavy sense of guilt weighed upon her. She had hardly ever lied to Noah before, she hadn't needed to. It felt strange, to be hiding things from him; it made her feel lonely. Suddenly her phone lit up again and started to ring. It was an unknown number so she didn't answer and left it until there was the symbol for answerphone message flashing.

She held the phone up to her ear and listened to it. There were a few moments where she didn't recognise who it was but then she realised, it was Elias. She was taken aback, had she given him her number?

'Hey, Alana, its me, Elias. I know you have to work today I just wondered if you would like to do something this evening. You know, they're playing Chinatown at the Cinema House and we can sit at the back row if you like... Eat popcorn?'

His voice lowered.

'I just, I don't know what you've done to me but last night... But I really want to see you again. Why not today? You know, you can get some new clothes on, come out again. Let's just do it.'

Alana's features froze. He wasn't seeing last night like she did, that much was clear. He seemed to think they were going to be on dates to the cinema together, eating popcorn. She sent a message back, saying:

'Thanks Elias, but busy tonight'

After that she didn't hear anything back from him, which was a relief. The rest of the day passed, with Alana catching up on lots of reading for her course. By the time evening fell she was ready to curl up on the sofa in front of the TV so that's exactly what she did, with a pepperoni pizza with a cheese-filled crust, she loved the cheese-filled crusts. Her cat, Cooper, dozed at her feet, purring and occasionally stretching her paws over Alana's fluffy socks.

It was late when the doorbell rang. It made her jump. No one ever rang the doorbell at this time of night. Sometimes the neighbour's kids called round to see Snow but it was too late for that, most of them would be tucked up in bed by now. The curtains were drawn shut so she couldn't see outside. She grabbed her phone and tucked it into her back pocket, her heart pounding slightly. She remembered how much she didn't like being in the house without Noah at this time of night.

There was a knock this time, loud, resounding down the hallway. She left the living room and crept along to the front door. She unlatched the lock then turned the key. She opened the door a little way, to get a glimpse of who was there and her heart sank when she saw that it was Elias, grinning at her with his arm against the wall, wearing a leather jacket with the collar turned up.

'Elias!' she said, her eyes darting to see if anyone was watching. 'What are you doing here?'

'I'm here to see you,' he said, slurring his words slightly.

He had clearly been drinking.

'How do you know where I live?'

He grinned again.

'You have friends at the art college...'

'Elias, you can't come here.'

'Why?' he said, voice raising. 'Because your husband might be here.'

Thank the lord above Noah was not here. Her hands gripped tightly onto the door frame. What was she supposed to do with him? He swayed slightly on his feet. There were lights shining out of her neighbours windows. What if they see him?

'Can I come in?' he said. 'I just wanted to see you, that's all.'

She looked at him and he gave her a sweet smile. She dragged him into the hallway before anyone could see them. It was time for him to hear the reality of their future together - that there wasn't going to be one.

'I thought we had something,' he said, as she led him down the hallway. 'God, the one girl I actually like...'

He staggered a little and she led him to the kitchen then turned on the kettle and made him a cup of coffee in the hope that it would sober him up. He looked around in all directions.

'This place is... Nice... A proper home...'

Then he pointed at the plastic toy pots and pans in the corner. 

'Wait, that belongs to a kid. You have a kid?' he said.

She took in a sharp breath.

'Yes, I have a kid.'

All she could do was look at him with sorry eyes.

'Oh man,' he said, grabbing his hair in his fists. 'You have a kid.'

'Yes!' she replied. 'And that's why, honestly, Elias, this thing - between us...'

She pointed to the both of them.

'It can never go anywhere, ever...'

'This thing can never go anywhere... ever...' he repeated her words, quietly, whilst still looking around.

'I like you, Alana,' he said. 'I don't think you realise. I really like you. This thing has to go somewhere. Last night, I mean. You wanted me...'

She looked down at the floor.

'It's not that I don't like you, Elias. But I'm married. This is my home, with my family. And I can't have you here, after tonight. My husband and my child will be home - in this kitchen. You knew I was married, right? I told you at the gig that night.'

'Yeah,' he said, sulkily. 'But you didn't seem very married yesterday.'

'I know,' she said. 'And that was a mistake... I'm just, I don't know what happened... I was attracted to you.'

'I know you were. I know you are. It would be a crime for this to be over, just like that. I know you feel what I feel. We're like magnets; you can't keep magnets apart. That's like going against nature.'

She wanted to roll her eyes and let out an exasperated sigh but instead she kept a straight face. Looking at him, his face was earnest and determined.

'Well it has to be over,' she said, pursing her lips. 'I'm sorry. It just has to be.'

A look passed across his features - a look that told her that he wasn't used to being refused.

'You will need to leave now,' she said firmly.

'Fine,' he said. 'You want me to leave, I'll leave.'

With that, he gave her one last look, stood up, slammed his stool against the table, and walked down the hallway, out through the front door.