Prologue

I ran.

I ran as fast as I could. I didn't want to be at that house anymore. They abused me, I had to get out of there.

THEY were my adopted parents. They took me in when my parents were killed by some monster thingy. I told them all about it and they thought I was crazy.

I was passing buildings and people on the path. I always ran through the streets so no one stopped me or had second thoughts about where I was going.

I made it past the boarder of the city. 'Just keep going' I thought as the soles of my shoes hit the ground.

I ran for several hours. I finally came upon a city that looked empty. I slowed down and looked around and noticed that it was, in fact, empty. I didn't think much about it.

I came to the middle of the town and there was a pond. I bent over to inspect the water and cupped my hands to get a drink. I looked up and noticed that a rabbit was drinking nearby. I reached into my back pocket for my pocket knife. I threw it like I always practiced and... *thwack* got the rabbit square in the head.

Yes, I practiced my knife skills in secret just in case I would ever have to protect myself against someone... and the fact I always wanted to be like a ninja when I was little.

But I soon realized that I needed a fire to cook the rabbit. I gutted the creature, sighed and looked around for a good place to put it while I went in search of wood.

When I returned to the middle of town, there was a girl around my age sitting by the pond. "Hey, you there" I yelled.

The girl looked at me, fear in her eyes. It took me a second to realize that she wasn't looking at me, she was looking BEHIND me. I turned around and jumped out of the way of the attack that would've hit me if I was a second slower.

It was a monster that looked just like the one that killed my parents. It aimed its weapon at me again. *clang* I glanced at the girl. She was throwing rocks at the thing. It turned to her and moved fast towards her. She turned to run but tripped over her own two feet. 'Damn it...!' At this point I wished I had a gun because there was no way I'd get to it before it got to her. As I was about to run, I felt my knife turn into something else and I knew exactly what it was.

*Bang bang* I fired the gun at the monster and it blew up. The girl was on the ground covering her head. I walked over to her. "You can get up now."

She looked at me and sat up. She looked at my hand and a confused look crossed her face. "Who shot the gun?"

"I did," I said. I looked at my hand and finally noticed it turned back into a knife. "Weird... it was a gun a minute ago..." The girl continued to stare at me. "What?" I snapped.

She looked away. "Thank you..." she whispered, looking like she was going to cry. *wack* "Ow! Why did you hit me?"

"I don't like crying so stop it already." She pouted. Then a growling noise was heard. She turned her head away, blushing. "Guess you're hungry," I laughed. I walked over and grabbed the rabbit. "Put that wood over there in a pile so we can have a fire." She nodded her head. I got to work on preparing the rabbit.

After she made the pile, I made a fire. I grabbed a sturdy stick, stuck it in the ground, and put the rabbit on to cook. It took a while but when it was done, I used my knife to cut some off for the girl and handed it to her "Here." She took it and whispered thanks. I got a piece for myself.

"What's your name?" I looked at the girl.

"Why do you want to know?" I asked.

She puffed out her cheeks "Because I wanted to know." I looked at her.