01

"You want me to go to an uncharted island in the middle of nowhere?" I questioned dumbfounded.

Randa and Brooks looked at me as if it was completely normal. We were sitting at a table in a bar because they thought they could use me on this expedition. Apparently, they wanted me to go with them so when I come back, I can write a book about it.

"Theoretically, yes. With your writer skills, we need someone who can document our travel in words." Brooks explained.

I furrowed my eyebrows. I'm pretty sure that I'm not exactly qualified for an expedition like that. My work as a writer, as good as it may be, isn't enough for them to offer such a thing. I get the feeling there's something they're not telling me.

"Can't a journalist do that?" I pointed out.

Randa and Brooks shared a look. My eyes narrowed as I noticed a silent message pass between them. Those two are really bad at keeping secrets. I'm still waiting for them to give me a reason on why I should accept their deal.

"We do have one but she's more of a taking photographs kind of girl." Randa stated.

I scoffed and lifted my glass which held bourbon. They think they can just show up with some insane mission and that I'll go with them. They must be joking. I know enough about uncharted islands to tell you that the chances of dying are extremely high.

"Look, I know it might sound a bit dangerous-"

"A bit? Without the right people, we'll die within an hour." I protested.

A few people looked at us intrigued. This probably isn't the best place to discuss this mission. But I was telling the truth. I may not be an expert, but I do know stuff about uncharted islands and how they can go wrong.

"We've got that covered, Miss Beckett." Randa reassured me.

He looked around before pulling out a stack of money. So they're going to try and bribe me. It's not a technique that wouldn't work. But they're going to have to give me a lot more money if I'm going to risk my life for writing their experience.

"If you choose to go, it's all yours." He suggested.

I raised my eyebrow. It seems this is very important to him. Just how important, I wonder. Enough to make him pay a fortune? There's only one way to find out.

"If you want me to go to a death trap, I expect triple that plus twice that when I write the book." I stated.

Do they honestly believe I'm going to risk my life without being paid as much as I deserve? They looked at me shocked and I could see Randa was hesitant. Maybe it wasn't that important after all.

"We will pay you as much as you have requested. Just say yes." Brooks offered.

They truly are a desperate bunch. There's no way in hell I would've agreed to such a deal if I was in their shoes. I took a deep breath before nodding. If they pay me that well, I can't really say no.

"Yes. I'll go with you." I agreed.

----

"Let me wrap my head around this." Riley said.

I looked up from my bag. I was packing only what was necessary. Her brown hair was up in a bun and her face deep in thought. It was her thinking face. One I've seen way too many times.

"You are going on a mission to a never before investigated island without even knowing what their plan is." She pointed out.

A sigh escaped my lips at her words. All she's doing is making me anxious about this trip. I know there are things they didn't tell me about it, but with the money they offered, we could have a good life. Perhaps flats of our own.

"I know what they're doing, Riley. They're researching an island. Not much to know." I retorted.

She bit her lip as I put my notebook inside. I'm going to need it to put pointers inside. Like what we saw and what were the reactions of the people around us. It'll make my work easier once I get back home.

"What if they're sending you into a death trap? Have you thought about that?" She questioned.

Annoyance spread through me but I pushed it away. Of course I thought about it. It's one of my main concerns. I walked to her and put my hands on her shoulders. Her green eyes stared into my boring brown ones.

"Riley, you don't have to worry about me. I can take care of myself." I reassured her.

I could see the worry swirling inside of her eyes. She always worries too much. Even when it is justified. However, I can take care of myself. I've done it ever since I could remember.

"I'm your big sister, Lissa. It's my job to worry." She told me.

I knew what was the real reason behind her fear. This has already happened with our brother. He went on a expedition and never came back. She was worried the same thing would happen to me.

"I know. I'm coming back. I promise you. Nothing can stop me from getting back to you." I promised her.

Tears gathered in her eyes. I know what she was thinking and it made my heart shatter. She was so afraid of losing me like we lost our brother.

I wrapped my arms around her as she hugged me. She was always a bit taller than me.

"I'm holding on to your word." She whispered.

A sad smile spread onto my face as we pulled away. This isn't a time to be sad. If I'm going away for a few days, then we need to hang out a bit more before I do so. Just enough so she calms down.

"Don't be so gloomy, I have a few hours before my departure. What do you wanna do?" I asked.

She brightened up a bit. See? I knew this would work. She needs to see that nothing is going to change once I leave for the expedition. I'm going to come back in one piece and we'll continue our lives normally.

"Dinner and a movie?" She suggested.

That was our sister bonding ritual. A grin formed on my face. She was the one who always cooked. It was something she started doing to take her mind off of our brother and his death.

"Dinner and a movie." I confirmed.

She giggled and went to cook something up. I took a deep breath and zipped up my bag. My eyes glanced at the framed picture on my shelf.

It was of me, Riley and Danny. It was taken on my 23rd birthday, two years ago. I lifted it up and my eyes fingers caressed it softly. God, I miss him.

He'd be thrilled if he knew what I was doing. He was always an adventurer. I kissed my fingers and put them on his picture.

"For you, big brother." I whispered.