13

My eyes fluttered open only to be blinded by sunlight. I groaned and moved my head. It was then that I realised I was in James's arms.

"Lissa." He said quickly.

He set me down on the ground as I became more aware of my surroundings. It felt as if I was waking up from a dream. Everything ached in my body.

"What happened?" I asked.

"You passed out. My guess is you have a concussion." Brooks stated.

James tilted my head making me look at him. His blue eyes were filled with worry. I hated seeing him like that because of me. I don't deserve it.

"How are you feeling?" He questioned.

I licked my dry lips and slowly sat up. My head still hurt but not as nearly as much as before. Plus the dizziness was gone. I guess I really needed the rest. This should help me get to the extraction site quicker.

"Better." I replied.

He kissed my forehead and I relaxed under his touch. God, I wish I could just curl up next to him and sleep. I've never missed normality before this island. It feels like things will never be normal for us.

"Can you walk?" He asked me.

"I think so." I confirmed.

He carefully helped me get up. His eyes observing my movements. I nodded reassuring him I was okay. He still looked doubtful so I stroked his cheek and a small smile formed on his lips.

"We have to keep moving." Hank stated.

I hummed in agreement and went forward. It felt weird to walk. As if I hadn't done it in a while. But if we want to reach the extraction site, we can't stop. We have to keep moving, just like Hank said.

"Woah, hold on. You just got on your feet." James protested.

I glanced back at him to see the others looking at me as well. As much as I appreciate their concern, I won't be the cause we miss our deadline. We're getting out of here. We have to.

"We don't have time for this, guys. I feel fine. Now come on." I told them.

"Listen to her. She's the only one smart here, the only one that agreed with me about West." Hank retorted.

We went forward and the others followed. They were all a bit wary of me walking because of what happened. But once they realised I wasn't gonna pass out again, they relaxed.

I went over a fallen tree and Mason held out her hand. She helped me get over it and I nodded gratefully. James crouched down in front of some mushrooms, I believe. I'm not a biologist nor do I particularly care.

"There's water close by." James stated.

"Are you lost? Which way?" Brooks questioned.

I leaned against a tree and took a deep breath. I wouldn't admit it but resting seems like a really good idea. We haven't been walking for that long, but my legs already ached. I can't let them know how I feel. They'll slow down and get killed if they do so.

"Hang on." James said.

He was listening to the sounds around him. Trying to see if he can hear the river. But a roar echoed through the woods. One that we were very familiar with. It belonged to Kong.

"Wait here. I'm gonna get to higher ground to find the river." James retorted.

I hesitated a bit before following him. My health isn't the greatest, but I am most certainly not letting him out there on his own. I don't think I could handle him dying right now. So the best thing is to make sure that he doesn't.

"Me too. You can't go alone." I protested.

I knew he disagreed with the idea but I wasn't gonna let him go out there alone. God knows what could happen. There's too many things out there that want to kill us all.

We climbed up hill and I swallowed a wince. The pain returned but I can't stop now. I held on to rocks and pulled myself up to the highest one. James followed quickly after.

I took deep breaths to calm my breathing. Not to mention to stop the headache forming. We could see the river in front of us along with night fog. I didn't even notice it got dark.

"I'm sorry for making you believe that I don't trust you. That was never my intention." I breathed out.

He glanced at me and I did the same. God, apologising was never easy for me. I don't want to feel guilty, but I know I am. I should've had more faith in him.

"I know, Lissa. Truth is, I just wanted to find that piece of me missing. I thought if we saved Chapman, my soul would finally get some rest." He explained.

I understood that. I was chasing after a piece of my brother. But all I got was a concussion and a reckless British man. Not that that was that bad, but I could've lived without the concussion.

"You said it yourself. No man comes home from war. Not really. Perhaps you should stop trying to chase that missing part." I advised.

"I don't think I can. But there's only one thing that ever came close to replacing it." He stated.

He turned to me and held my hand. I squeezed his hand as he pulled me close. Our foreheads touched and I took a deep breath. Being near him felt so intoxicating. I couldn't get enough of it.

"You. Being with you, even in this death trap, has made it bearable. I don't want anything to happen to you." He said.

His voice was desperate and panicked. I hushed him and he got quiet. His demeanour relaxing at being this close to me. Me getting hurt had this effect on him. So I'm going to tell him what I should've believed in at the beginning.

"We can make it." I whispered.

A small smile formed on his face as I leaned in and kissed him. Warmth spread through my body and I pulled him even closer. Our lips moved in syncs. The kiss was desperate and demanding.

We were both lost souls searching for something we couldn't find. And now there's a chance we'll lose each other. I don't think either one of us can handle that pain.

"Woah, too much PDA for me." We heard a voice say.

I quickly pulled away and looked to my left. Mason was pulling herself up the rocks. A part of me was annoyed that she interrupted us. We don't get a lot of alone time together these days.

"Weaver, what are you doing here?" James questioned.

She shrugged as if her showing up is the most normal thing ever. I remember when I met her. She was such a nervous mess. Yet I still liked her. We've come a long way since then.

"I was worried about you two. I see now that I didn't have to be. You find the boat?" She questioned.

"It must be around that bend." James stated.

Mason got her camera out and took pictures of the river. I froze when I heard the sound of giant footsteps. Kong's black shadow came closer to us and Mason stepped back.

Kong's face came to our view and I held James's hand tightly. The anger inside of his eyes made me tremble. He could end us with one move. Who could blame him though? We attacked his home.

But then Mason stepped forward. She slowly put her hand on Kong. I watched in wonder as he didn't attack her. It was then that I could see the humanity in Kong's eyes. A conscience that understands its surroundings.

Mason smiled and lifted her hand off of him. Kong looked at us before stepping back. Explosions were heard in the distance. I looked in the direction of it and realised it was Packard and his men. Kong roared in anger and headed that way.

"We have to go. Now." James exclaimed.