10

"The flare was only two clicks North. They should be here soon." James stated.

I drank some water and handed it to him. He took a sip and gave it back. It's important to stay hydrated on this island. You never know when you'll end up alone or without water.

"Unless they were eaten by something bigger than us." Mason reminded.

I heard crunching in front of us and tensed. It could be predators. To my relief, it was the rest of the soldiers. They all looked relieved that we weren't predators either.

"Oh, holy shit." Slivko said.

He rushed to meet up with his friends as I smiled. Randa reunited with Brooks and San happily. They were too loud for my taste however. We're not alone here. That and I have a general dislike of Randa.

"What you see is what I've got." I heard Packard say.

"We lost one too." James informed.

Hank stepped forward. Well this is going to be interesting. This is Hank's second encounter with people that aren't from this island. He seemed very cheerful to meet fellow soldiers.

"Good to see you, fellas." He said.

"Who the hell is this?" Packard asked.

"Picked up a hitchhiker." James joked.

A ghost of a smile appeared on my face. Even in the darkest of moments, he could find a way to make smile. But that still won't help us unless we can leave this island.

"I'm Hank Marlow of the 45th pursuit squadron." Hank stated.

Packard looked at him warily. I remember being like that towards Hank until I got to know him. That was when I realised he was a little crazy but in a good way.

"You've been here since World War Two?" He questioned.

"Yes, sir. I missed the parade?" Hank asked.

I smiled at the way he socialised with other people. With jokes and smiles. Like he hasn't spent years on an island with things trying to kill him. I really hope he gets to his family soon.

"I'll be damned." Packard commented.

"We'll get him home, sir. We follow this river, we make it to the boat, we'll make it to the North shore in time." James explained.

Hope rose in my chest once more. There was something about listening to James talking about how we're getting out that makes me believe him. Or maybe that's how you know you care for someone.

"That sounds good but we're not leaving yet. Still got a man out there, Conrad." Packard stated.

"Wait a second, you've got someone out there?" James asked.

I narrowed my eyes. He said man, as in singular, which means low chances of survival. Out here that long? There's no way he has survived. Half of us would be dead if we were alone. Hell, all of us would be dead.

"Chapman. He's just West of here." Packard retorted.

"West? We can't go West. That's where those skull things live. We have a whole saying here. East is best, west is worst. That's why we say it. You mean Southwest, we can talk about that. But you're gonna need a lot more guns if you're gonna go West." Hank exclaimed.

I bit my lip in worry. This only confirms my doubts. If Hank, who has been here for decades, says it's suicide to go there then we shouldn't. It's logical, isn't it? He has knowledge about this place that we don't.

"Hank's right. He's been here for years, he knows best. We should listen to him." I commented.

James considered it but Packard looked at him. Chapman is dead, he has to be. Even if he were alive, there's no way we would make it back in time. We have to go without him.