09

"Let's go." James ordered.

I watched as he struggled to move a lever. I bit my lip in worry. This has to work. If it doesn't, there's no way we're going to make it to the extraction site.

"Third time's the charm." Slivko retorted.

He did something and James pulled the lever. The engine started going and I giggled with joy. Mason looked at me and we hugged. It actually worked. It seems we're going to make it after all.

James glanced at me with a grin on his face which I returned. Mason pulled away and we noticed the Iwis. They stood watching us emotionless. Hank stepped towards them.

"I guess this is goodbye. Thank you." He told them.

They did the nod thing. I'll never get that. To communicate without words, without facial expressions. It seems almost impossible. Nowadays, even when people talk, they can't understand each other.

"If you're ever in Chicago, look me up, I guess." He told them.

The boat started moving and I stood next to James at the front. He looked at me and held my hand. My fingers intertwined with his. I gave him quick kiss on the lips. His lips formed a soft smile.

"We can make it." I stated.

There was a cheer behind us. I glanced to see who it was. A smile tugged at my lips upon seeing Slivko looking at us with a grin on his face. He was more enthusiastic than I expected him to be.

"Look at this. Conrad got himself a girlfriend." Slivko teased.

I gave him a playful glare as Brooks and Hank laughed. This small moment of victory and teasing felt almost normal. Like we weren't on an island with things that wanted to kill us.

"I don't see what's so funny." James commented.

I hid a small grin as I turned to him. He was enjoying this as well. A part of me knew this was going to happen ever since the meadow. At least I wanted it to happen and now it did.

"Me neither." I teased.

He chuckled as we went under the wall and into the river. I stepped back towards Brooks and San. Slivko let music play as James navigated for Hank.

"So, you and Conrad." Brooks started.

San and I looked at him with narrowed eyes. Why was he asking me about this? All that was needed to be said had already been said. He raised his hands in defeat.

"I just wanna know." He justified.

This is the first time I've heard a man say he was curios about a relationship that wasn't his. It was refreshing to know they cared about something other than sport and beer. But James was also different. That's probably why I like him so much.

"Curiosity killed the cat." I reminded.

"And a lot of people on this expedition. You think it's wise to be asking personal questions on an island full of things that can eat you?" San questioned.

I bursted out laughing at Brooks's horrified face. San was on fire. I'm liking this side of her. Give it time and I'll turn her into another version of me.

"You know what? I'm just gonna go there and be quiet." He mumbled.

I turned to San as he got up and went towards the guys. There's safety in numbers and all that. It felt nice to have someone other than Mason on my side.

"Thanks for the help." I said.

"Us girls have to stick together." She stated.

I smiled as we did a high-five. San went to Brooks and pulled out a can of food. I got up and went to James, Mason and Hank.